Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar
(05-05-2023, 09:25 PM)roy Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 09:13 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: I think it's from the hats, first 2 hits. I pulled them down=went away.
I double checked. It's in the OHs. At least, the noise that was bothering me is.

Beautiful - got it.  Thanks!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey bro, hope you've been well!

This is a really good mix as far as I can tell. One thing that you could look at is the panning on your drumkit. I'm getting a lot of the high-end of the kit on the right side, especially the hi-hat.

Realy great mix otherwise!
~
Other Mixes
Yeah, v1.1 sounds pretty good. I like the bass. I like the low end of the mix general. It's there and works for the track but isn't needlessly subby.

The panning of the kit jumps out at me too I don't mind the hh on the right (though it's ingrained on me that it should be on the left) but I feel some "pulling" and some movement in the panning of the kit at times. I don't know if it's the snare leakage in the hat or if the overheards (I like that typo) are panned or what. But it jumps out at me.

There is a drop out on the cymbals where the band comes in. Was that to take out the cymbal noise? It's at a bad time in the song as it stands out more since the band is coming in. Maybe an automated eq would deal with it smoother?

Same with the panning of guitar 1 at the top when the band comes in. The long pan calls attention to itself.

The 2100khz area of the vocal really bothers me at times in this song. It's just the track. Maybe it's me and my ears are just sensitive to that area. Messing around a narrow cut at that general area on this mix helps but a de-esser or MBC on the vocal seems to work as well.

The mix is a bit loud for my tastes and I get that part of the process you like to work on. That said, while it's loud I don't really hear any artifacts from it. I guess the ref mix is loud. I mostly referenced the unmastered wav.

I don't love the outro solo tone. It's not the best tone to begin with, to be honest. I think it could duck around the vocal a tad. To be honest I think we're all just leaving it full on at the end.

I think that's it it's a really good mix. I typed a lot of words but it's really just that transition area and the vocal tone (which might just be me).

Cheers
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. I hope to get around to checking out some more mixes over the next few days. I've addressed a couple of the issues mentioned in mix 1.2. I'm not really a fan of having the hat and cymbal in the middle of mix so I split up the OH as best I could. (I did make some slight adjustments in mix 1.2, but I think there's only so much that can be done with that single OH). Can't say I noticed that the vocal tone, or the guitar solo at the end bothered me. I might take another look at it later though.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!