Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Killin Time
Hey all,

Great song, I appreciate the value Andrew puts into good production.

I wanted to mix a warmer more vintage sounding version of this song. Let me know what else I can do to improve this.

.mp3    FytaKyte_Fade_Mix1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.61 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Hi! your mix sound quite smashed (especially the drums). I think when you dial back the compressors and EQ out a bit of the low mids your mix will breathe more!

Cheers!
(05-03-2024, 12:38 PM)ERJEE Wrote: Hi! your mix sound quite smashed (especially the drums). I think when you dial back the compressors and EQ out a bit of the low mids your mix will breathe more!

Cheers!
Hey thanks so much for the feedback. There's not much compression to be honest, just on the snare, overheads, bass, lead guitar and vocals. Maybe 1-2db on the master bus. That's it. 
But I was going for a warmer, gooier vibe with this mix and maybe I've over done it, but this is definitely the direction I wanted to go in.

Cleaner more sterile mixes don't interest me so much these days. I used to (check the mix I did of Fytakyte's Bitter). 

Again, maybe I over did it? Or maybe if I clean it up some more there's a way I can have my cake and eat it too?
~
Other Mixes
I listened to your mix with great interest. Clearly I don't like it. Without going into too much detail, in general it distorts terribly, apart from the voices. In terms of drums, you have a really original kick sound but there is too much reverb. The toms sound hyper present and shatter the ears with this hyper upfront positioning and with many faults: for example they are incomplete in the transition towards 1'50. Your over-amping of the guitars brings out parasitic noises (palm-mute and slide) that you could remove....Etc, etc,... You write that you don't like "sterile mixes". It's what ? On the other hand you define your mix being in a rather vintage style. Once again disagree. If we had to define the mixes, I would say that FYTAKYTE's is rather "raw", yours "noisy" and mine "vintage"... A question of taste and concept.
But you should make a second version of your first mix by focusing on the drums (try to keep all the elements in the same sound space), soften the sound of certain guitars and give depth to the bass. That should do it....
p.s. my mix partly illustrates what I just wrote.

Franz
If I were to describe the character of your mix, I'd characterize it as 'pinched'. I get taking chances and looking for something exciting. I am not sure you achieved that here. Different, certainly. Easily to listen to, not really. Some interesting ideas but a difficult listen at times. While you state very little compression was used, it sure does sound squashed to me. How did you do that?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]