Discussion Zone
Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Slimy Soul Suckers: 'Joe's Bar' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=935)
+---- Thread: Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar (/showthread.php?tid=46557)

Pages: 1 2

Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar - mikej - 04-05-2023

Hi,

My mix.

Cheers!

Update 1.0: Tightened up low end, bit of work on snare, bumped up guitar 2, tucked in vocals a touch...
Update 1.1: Removed noise from OH at 10s
Update 1.2: Removed noise from OH at 10s in a slightly more refined manner.  More abrupt panning of the intro guitar.

RE: Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar - SonicTramp - 04-05-2023

Great mix. From where I am sitting at, just personal taste, I'd like to hear the more of the chopping guitar (EIG2) just to add and keeping up with the beat and make it steady, and the bv (bv4). The bass/kick is awesome. I think a bit tighter on the snare, a little bit of snap, to push the song forward, imo. You got the guitar solo (very nice sound) and the vocal separate quite nice while they are together. I don't mind hear them both loud. Great job. It's back to the grind for me. And perhaps the vocal is a bit loud relatively. Song and beat like this, imo, vocal doesn't mind sharing the glory. Cheers.

RE: Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar - mikej - 05-05-2023

Hey thanks for the comments.

I found this quite a challenging mix to attempt. In part because the library mix is very loud, which makes things a bit tougher if you decide to try and chase that. It's at -6 LUFS.

I did wonder if that guitar might be getting a bit lost against the snare. I'll also have another look at the snare. I suspect I might have mixed in a touch too much of that sample or something. I'll also double check the compressor settings too.

You know I thought that the vocal might have actually been a touch too quiet. I think the problem might be that the bass is quite up front really, and there is actually quite a lot of low end in the track that you don't hear on all systems. I just gave it a listen on some earbuds that don't have all that much bass and I think you are right that vocal does perhaps sound a bit forward without that low end coming through.

Talking of bass - I was listening to it earlier on some IEMS that go quite low and I think the sub low end could actually do with cleaning and tightening up just a touch more too I think.

I'll try and have another look at it tomorrow.

Cheers!

RE: Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar - SonicTramp - 05-05-2023

No need to thank me; you have helped me way more than that.

Don't worry. If they can get it that loud, so can we. They are just more skillful for now. It just takes a little time working things out, but we'll get it.

In the beginning it (the guitar) sounded loud and in command, a bit too commanding, imo. That makes the next part low, in addition to it being pulled down. But that is just a matter of pushing it up, right?

@1:38-1:41 I can almost hear the comp working. Either that or the automation pull down, distinction without difference. The mix loses some momentum there.

I don't think IEMS is good for critical listening, especially to monitor low end. Physics doesn't allow us to do so. The speakers are just too small to faithfully reproduce any wavelength below low mid, where the meat lies. The low end you hear is probably the "missing fundamental" phenomenon we as humans face. But this is the topic I am not keen on carrying it on. It's just my opinion.

I like the vocal a lot. It's just a little loud relatively.

Oh, I can get things loud. I think I got somewhere around -6.5 LUFS. (and it's also below 0 true peak too after mp3 conversion, so I am losing a nearly db there, but who's counting Wink).

Some tracks I don't feel really need to be quite that loud. The thing is that louder kind of tends to sound better if you are comparing mixes without volume matching them. So if the library mix is loud I feel compelled to chase it. Plus it is kind of fun to try.

Cheers!

Mix 1.0 added.

Cheers!

I think the snare is sounding much better tho I think I hear the comp working too hard on the last 2 hits from the beginning 0:06-0:08. A bump on the gtr might have made the whole mix a bit bright. The front end of the organ (great job I can hear it clearly) is also quite sharp adding to the hi making the mix even brighter. I also think that the verb on the snare is too long, perhaps a gated verb would tame it down a bit. And yeah, the whole mix is quite nice and loud.

RE: Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar - Roy - 05-05-2023

I'll comment in more depth when I can but I'm fiercely angry at that noise on the OH track at about 10 seconds in. It's like at 10 or 11k. Sorry to bring this up so close to Coronation.

I think it's from the hats, first 2 hits. I pulled them down=went away.

RE: Slimy Soul Suckers - Joe's Bar - Roy - 05-05-2023

(05-05-2023, 09:13 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: I think it's from the hats, first 2 hits. I pulled them down=went away.
I double checked. It's in the OHs. At least, the noise that was bothering me is.