Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Will Evans - Me And My Crew [Andrey Benassi] MIX]
(22-09-2021, 11:08 PM)Omnishambles Wrote: I can't listen to the mix at the moment but I think it's important for us to remember that 'loudness' is, or at least should be, the realm of the Mastering engineer.  I'm not saying that this mix is too loud or not loud enough or just right but I think for us on the forum 'loudness' shouldn't be a main concern. I get it, it's part of the process and another element we'd like to master (no pun intended) so it's not meant as a slight to those who wish to push those boundaries but it's not necessarily a part of mixing. Or at least, shouldn't be.

And there's a separate mastering section of the board (https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/foru...hp?fid=549) we could all take advantage of.
I agree with you, maybe the volume bothers him because it's a little louder and I understand what he meant.

As we often 'master' our own mixing work, maybe loudness is a topic that we need start to consider in this forum...
You can contact me for professional jobs, editing, mixing & mastering, mixing classes!
Would be a pleasure to work with you!
[email protected]
(22-09-2021, 11:22 PM)andreybenassi Wrote:
(22-09-2021, 11:08 PM)Omnishambles Wrote: I can't listen to the mix at the moment but I think it's important for us to remember that 'loudness' is, or at least should be, the realm of the Mastering engineer.  I'm not saying that this mix is too loud or not loud enough or just right but I think for us on the forum 'loudness' shouldn't be a main concern. I get it, it's part of the process and another element we'd like to master (no pun intended) so it's not meant as a slight to those who wish to push those boundaries but it's not necessarily a part of mixing. Or at least, shouldn't be.

And there's a separate mastering section of the board (https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/foru...hp?fid=549) we could all take advantage of.
I agree with you, maybe the volume bothers him because it's a little louder and I understand what he meant.

As we often 'master' our own mixing work, maybe loudness is a topic that we need start to consider in this forum...
It's a topic mixers have been dealing with forever.
I'm not arguing with if it bothers him or not or if it's right or wrong in this instance. That said, sacrifices may be made to the mix to get that extra loudness. Sometimes it can be done well and sometimes it isn't. It's certainly not something I would say I have a full grasp on even though I'm guilty of pursuing it. Loudness alone doesn't make a mix necessarily bad but trying to reach those heights might negatively effect an otherwise good mix. And that's a shame. 

I suppose Mike Senior and the powers that be could suggest a standard level for mixes to even the playing field and if one would like to post a louder mix than it could be posted as a wav in the Mastering forum. I don't know if there's any reason or desire for that.
For me the snare is way too loud ,sounds louder than the vox and to sharp .The mix is fatiging to listen to i found. Not very smooth or polished at all .
Just my opinion
(20-08-2021, 04:08 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Solid all the way around. Oh it's too loud. Wait. I have a volume control. Wow! Technology amazes me.
If you are refering to my comment i did mean that the level of the mix is high and not pointed to the volume Smile