Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
The Dice (NEW)
Really liked this mix. Sat well in my speakers and phones.
Hey Shul, just making these comments while I'm listening to your mix.

Overall you've got a good mix going on here, it's warm but still defined sounding and tight.

One thing I noticed is that your guitars seem to be outside the mic almost like they're out of phase with each other which is abit distracting especially on headphones.

The bass for the most part in the mix sound nice and deep however once the build to the final chorus happens and the distortion comes in on the bass, it loses alot of its energy and power. The string clack also gets distracting in that section, try using a medium tight parametric cut at around 3-5 kHz in that section to alleviate the excess clack.

The vocals is where this mix really shines, you've really got them to sit well in the mix without being overbearing and drowning everything else out. I'm not a big fan of the delay on the doubletracked vocal, it actually dectracts from the performance of the vocals and seems like an afterthought in the context of the mix. Other than that the vocals are really well done.

The drum sound is also a strong point of your mix. Personally the kick and toms seem somewhat flaccid but I think it's more a preference thing (I'm a fan of the Chris Adler kick sound for the more modern prog metal and groove metal sound for reference). The snare has a nice crack to it but could use less verb on it. Overall your drum sound fits your mix well.

Again your mix does sound quite good, the guitars and bass are really the most problematic in the mix but everything else seems to be more nitpicks and personal preference things. Good work
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(09-04-2016, 07:06 AM)Wal Wrote: Really liked this mix. Sat well in my speakers and phones.

Thanks Wal. I have a problem with the low end of this mix.. still have not sat down to tweak anything because overall I still like how it sounds. I will definitely comeback to it to try to make it better but I'm glad you liked this. Thanks for the feed back.
(09-04-2016, 04:06 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Hey Shul, just making these comments while I'm listening to your mix.

Overall you've got a good mix going on here, it's warm but still defined sounding and tight.

One thing I noticed is that your guitars seem to be outside the mic almost like they're out of phase with each other which is abit distracting especially on headphones.

The bass for the most part in the mix sound nice and deep however once the build to the final chorus happens and the distortion comes in on the bass, it loses alot of its energy and power. The string clack also gets distracting in that section, try using a medium tight parametric cut at around 3-5 kHz in that section to alleviate the excess clack.

The vocals is where this mix really shines, you've really got them to sit well in the mix without being overbearing and drowning everything else out. I'm not a big fan of the delay on the doubletracked vocal, it actually dectracts from the performance of the vocals and seems like an afterthought in the context of the mix. Other than that the vocals are really well done.

The drum sound is also a strong point of your mix. Personally the kick and toms seem somewhat flaccid but I think it's more a preference thing (I'm a fan of the Chris Adler kick sound for the more modern prog metal and groove metal sound for reference). The snare has a nice crack to it but could use less verb on it. Overall your drum sound fits your mix well.

Again your mix does sound quite good, the guitars and bass are really the most problematic in the mix but everything else seems to be more nitpicks and personal preference things. Good work

Thanks for the Feedback DCP.. I believe hard panning guitars was not such a great idea, but I believe the phase issue you hear is the imager plugin i placed on the buss of the rhythm guitars. I used it to spread them out a lout more and yes i agree it sounds odd. I believe I will come back to this song in the future and will do it without that imager.

I don't really like the bass in this mix. I don't know I just think it's a bit blurry in comparison with other mixes. I left it like that because of the low energy they bring to the song. But not 100% satisfied with it. Now that you mention it I do hear some fret issues on that part. I think I'm gonna put a deEsser as suggested by the artist of "The Glass" in that thread. I also have a fret noise problem there. I believe it should compress that clack good enough.

I agree on the reverb of the drums. I really felt verb gave it a lot of life overall.. but in the intro I do hear that excess.. could have toned it down Lol. Maybe I will mute it or something in that stop.. and drop the levels a bit in the overall mix. I just don't like a dry snare. I'm a drummer my self and I believe that's why I'm too picky with dry snares Lol.

Thanks for the good observations.