Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NovavOne "Four Graham - Mixed by konop
(08-04-2016, 10:36 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Really enjoyed this mix.

Having temporarily abandoned my own mix in a fit of pique, I know how hard you've worked to pull this together. blending drum samples are a smart move here as the originals need to be bent into shape something chronic. First thing i did when i started zeroing in on drums was patch in my drum trigger/samples...way too much effort otherwise.

Call me crazy, but i kinda like v1 better. The compression seems to have the bottom end under control better. In V2 i think reducing compression has maybe improved tonality but it feels a bit more lumpy to me.

Take all that with a pinch of salt though as we all have different speakers and listening environments. Nice job.

cheers, Simon

Thanks for kind words. V1 is pumping, but has a vibe. V2 is hmm,... polite Smile V1 and V2 are same mix but with different mixbus settings. I want to try some of http://dmgaudio.com/ plugins, so maybe V3 appear.
(08-04-2016, 11:39 AM)konop_tnt Wrote: Thanks for kind words. V1 is pumping, but has a vibe. V2 is hmm,... polite Smile V1 and V2 are same mix but with different mixbus settings. I want to try some of http://dmgaudio.com/ plugins, so maybe V3 appear.

I reckon vibe is good..Big Grin..if you're sure V1 is pumping and you don't like it, it may mean the release is a bit fast and ahead of the beat. If you back the release off a bit it should sit nicely on the beat and add urgency to the groove...and if you keep going with the release it will get behind the beat and feel a bit languid.
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
hi bro, your mix is cool one thing about the mix is maybe you can bring some little ingridients they gave you into the mix so it can be part of the song too, for example is the guitar licks on 0:33 maybe u could do something with it so it can be some kind of "zing" to support the song. i also have same problems to find "zing" and bring it up to support the song, it's really tricky. any way frequency wise its a cool mix , great job bro Smile
Hi.

I only listened to version 2. I find the guitars very thin. They deserve more fatness and presence (and drums and bass are not really in place, they need a lot of edition to be on the grid).
The low ends are not well defined, mostly because of the bass which takes too much place. Once you identified the bass, you can't get rid of it for the whole song.

To my humble opinion, you should focus on the relationship between kick and bass and then with the guitars to make sure each has a specific range of frequencies.
Hello

Here are my observations

*Intro vocal is rather muddy. I would automate an eq to clean that part of the vocals.
*Overall vocals seem to have volume boost and volume drops.. not sure if it's the recording or if it was automated like that.
*I like your guitar tones.
*Drums sound a bit out of place in comparison with the guitars...perhaps a bit less drums.. or different reverb work.

I have not mixed this song.. so I don't really know what the challenges are.
Hope this helps.
(12-04-2016, 02:13 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello

Here are my observations

*Intro vocal is rather muddy. I would automate an eq to clean that part of the vocals.
*Overall vocals seem to have volume boost and volume drops.. not sure if it's the recording or if it was automated like that.
*I like your guitar tones.
*Drums sound a bit out of place in comparison with the guitars...perhaps a bit less drums.. or different reverb work.

I have not mixed this song.. so I don't really know what the challenges are.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comments, my mix still has a lot to improve and I can agree with your remarks.
(11-04-2016, 08:45 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi.

I only listened to version 2. I find the guitars very thin. They deserve more fatness and presence (and drums and bass are not really in place, they need a lot of edition to be on the grid).
The low ends are not well defined, mostly because of the bass which takes too much place. Once you identified the bass, you can't get rid of it for the whole song.

To my humble opinion, you should focus on the relationship between kick and bass and then with the guitars to make sure each has a specific range of frequencies.

I've mixed it on headphones so that is the reason of poor levels Smile