Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Flying! Just did a course so tell me if its any good
hi.. I agree with some points but here is my opinion.

Your mix not a complete mess. I have heard bad mixes of this song and I think you got a great balance with drums and bass.
Now we can all take different approaches to eq. Here your mix lacks a bit because there are some problems with masking and also your lead guitars are out of sync. Some vocals are low and others are loud making the vocals inconsistent to the point that you notice too much that it bugs you.

Respecting dynamics in a song is important but we should not confuse single track dynamics with the actual mix dynamics. For example in my guitars literally the level meters reach a certain height and they stay there unless they are not playing. That means there is absolutely no dynamics eventhoug there is the APEARANCE of it. they are just mind games that make us believe there is still dynamics but there isn't. When you limit the volume to.. Say -10db. And you have a recording that was very dynamic while playing the instrument, you will still have the impression of dynamics but the volume gets chopped off at -10db.

Squashing a track is obtained when peaks on the dynamics are too loud and your threshold is at the lowest registered wave. At this point the compression is very obvious. But this kind of genre is very compressed. You can always make up some dynamics with automation..

Bottom line I think you can heavy compress as long as it not squashing the sound and your mix will still sound dynamic. Note that the dynamics in the meters of a mix have A LOT to do with the sums of freq. on each track. For example you can have two guitars heavily compress to where they don't exceede -5db.. Yet in a meter the frequencies are very dynamic. This is to to the sum of freq. Of both guitars which are producing sums and drops of many freq. At the same time. (also another impression of dynamics that isn't literally dynamics in a track)

Bottom line is never be afraid and risk some things. You never know when something dumb is gonna turn into something great.

I read about this engineer who hated regaetton music.. Yet he was mixing this kind of music. He hated it so much that he wanted to destroy the mix.. So he took off the typical regaeton snare.. And placed a death metal snare (he really liked metal).
When the artist came back.. And he heard the song.. He was like "wow what is that!?" .. The guy said is a metal snare tone... The artist clapped because it was a great change in the song..... This artist became known and now most of the regaetton songs have this snare shift on some sections.

Something that wasn't supposed to be there became something that must be there now a days....
I disagree with blitz on this.. If you want a jazz snare in a metal song go for it... Why not??? Smile only a handfull of people who defied the system and the comfortzone became successful. Bill gates.. Steve jobs.. Etc.

Anything aplies in music... Anything. Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Still Flying! Just did a course so tell me if its any good - by Shul - 09-12-2016, 08:53 PM