Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Mix, Light Master
Mixed in Reason 8 with minimal processing/light mastering: leveling, compression, eq and reverb. I did not pitch correct any of the vocals, being that I wanted to leave the performance how it was. I wanted to see what you thought of the direction the mix was going before putting more into it. There are points where automation is necessary, but I was saving that for last.

I really like the track and I look forward to hearing more of your material.

Let me know what you think about this mix/master.

Thanks,

Matthew Ashy

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice.mp3 --  (Download: 13.9 MB)

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice v3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice v4.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice v5.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

i like the balance in your mix, great drum sound, i think the lead vox is the most problematic in this song in general, has lots of dynamic and that's great in others styles but here not so much. so maybe a little bit more compression for the vocals and thats it, you are in the right way imo.

go check my mix and let my note what you think! http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=14651
(08-04-2016, 04:22 PM)lupulus Wrote: i like the balance in your mix, great drum sound, i think the lead vox is the most problematic in this song in general, has lots of dynamic and that's great in others styles but here not so much. so maybe a little bit more compression for the vocals and thats it, you are in the right way imo.

go check my mix and let my note what you think! http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=14651

Thanks! I had issues with the vox in certain spots, I still need some automation to finish balancing everything, but I'll tweak the compression to see if that solves it first. I'm going check your mix out now, I'll let you know what I think. Thanks again. I'm new to this forum but I'm loving it already.

Matthew Ashy
Updated mix, plus I think I accidentally bounced the first version in mono. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Matthew Ashy

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice v2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.86 MB)

Hey Mattashy

Here are my observations on your first mix which I believe sounds better than the second one. #2 has volume changes that I think are a bit less consistent overall in the mix in comparison with the first one.
You didn't bounce the first mix in Mono. The cymbals are in stereo so therefore it is a stereo mix.

*Guitars, bass, snare, kick, vocals are all fighting for a position in the middle. Even though I can pin point each sound, there is some muddy feel in the center. Do you mix on headphones or Speakers?
*Snare lacks a bit of brightness in my opinion. Balances are good though like I said I'd separate more the guitars and back vocals in the stereo field to give you some more space in the middle that way the brightness of the snare is not drowning in the center with too much going on. (same for vocals, I believe it will breath better)
*There is an Odd "ding" sound coming from the left side at 3:09 Not sure what it is but It stood out in a bad way while listening to it.
*There is a Clipping distortion popping at 3:16 on the right side. Could be automation in a plugin and gave you that digital error. It has happened to me before.
*More popping clips from 5:40 till the end of the song. I woud suggest Cut off tracks that aren't doing anything on these section to remove it. Or solo each track to find the problem.

All in all Not bad. Balances are solid, is just the separation in the stereo field that need work. I could probably give you feedback on EQ once the middle is cleaner to better hear the eq. You are going in the right direction, keep it up.
(09-04-2016, 02:39 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey Mattashy

Here are my observations on your first mix which I believe sounds better than the second one. #2 has volume changes that I think are a bit less consistent overall in the mix in comparison with the first one.
You didn't bounce the first mix in Mono. The cymbals are in stereo so therefore it is a stereo mix.

*Guitars, bass, snare, kick, vocals are all fighting for a position in the middle. Even though I can pin point each sound, there is some muddy feel in the center. Do you mix on headphones or Speakers?
*Snare lacks a bit of brightness in my opinion. Balances are good though like I said I'd separate more the guitars and back vocals in the stereo field to give you some more space in the middle that way the brightness of the snare is not drowning in the center with too much going on. (same for vocals, I believe it will breath better)
*There is an Odd "ding" sound coming from the left side at 3:09 Not sure what it is but It stood out in a bad way while listening to it.
*There is a Clipping distortion popping at 3:16 on the right side. Could be automation in a plugin and gave you that digital error. It has happened to me before.
*More popping clips from 5:40 till the end of the song. I woud suggest Cut off tracks that aren't doing anything on these section to remove it. Or solo each track to find the problem.

All in all Not bad. Balances are solid, is just the separation in the stereo field that need work. I could probably give you feedback on EQ once the middle is cleaner to better hear the eq. You are going in the right direction, keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback. I was experimenting with different levels on v2 after listening to the mix too much, so I agree that v1 is better. I mistakenly thought I had bounced the master section in mono because of a settings change I noticed on the mixer, but I realized that it was fine shortly after. Thanks for confirming that. I mix between my m-audio bx5 monitors and my audio technica headphones. I didn't adjust the stereo width on the guitar and vox busses, so I see why the stereo image is crowded and muddy. I didn't hear the ding or pops you are referring to when listening over both versions, so I need to investigate that further. I approached this mix with a minimalist mentality to allow for more adjustments after hearing feedback like this. Thank you again for the thorough analysis. I'll make some changes to v1 and post that tomorrow to see what else needs to be fixed.

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice v3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

(09-04-2016, 08:42 PM)mattashy Wrote:

Yup. you difinitely fixed those clip pops.
Question. Are you using only one guitar track? (rhythm electric)
I cleaned up the silence in the tracks when there wasn't any audio data and I also bounced it out at 44.1 24 instead of 48 24 this time, so it could be a little bit of both that was causing the pops. I have each paired gtr track panned hard L/R and then routed to a bus (GTR 1 - GTR 4) since there's two tracks for each guitar part.
(10-04-2016, 12:29 PM)mattashy Wrote: I cleaned up the silence in the tracks when there wasn't any audio data and I also bounced it out at 44.1 24 instead of 48 24 this time, so it could be a little bit of both that was causing the pops. I have each paired gtr track panned hard L/R and then routed to a bus (GTR 1 - GTR 4) since there's two tracks for each guitar part.

Hey Matt,

I would be checking your guitar arrangement and panning. Listening through headphones they are sounding quite mono and a little phasey. (Comb filtering effect) With hard panning should be sounding really wide with headphones. Even try using just 2 guitars as the main panned pair and bring up the other two at a lesser volume for some added weight (listening for filtering problems at the same time). Sometimes you've got to be careful with four guitars as they can cancel them selves out it bit. You can quite often get a bigger guitar sound by just using two.

Dave.