Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Motherlode (mixed at The Shack)
Perry,

I got a chance to listen to your mix. Nice! I think you did a great job!! I mean, you said it's out of your comfort zone, etc. Same here. But, what's great about this site that Mike created is that we can get to experiment with all genres in real life situation mixes....invaluable and I think I speak for everyone when I say the Mike Senior is doing an incredible service for all of us trying to learn/improve our skills in a never ending learning process. I see what you mean about the guitar in the beginning. Your beginning is nice and clean and smooth. I liked what you did with the background vocals....just think they might sound a bit better down about 2db or so. I replied to your message on my posting.....see ya there.

Tom
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(26-11-2014, 03:06 PM)Third Party Wrote: This is my mix of Motherlode. Great song but this genre is way outside my comfort zone. I appreciate any feedback.

I have listened to your mix a few times and it is a nice mix overall:) For me, I think that the vocals are a bit too far out front and the lead vocal is a little harsh. I think that the 1k and 2k adds a little too much bite. However, it's my opinion:)

I have no experience with mixing upright basses, therefore, I can't really draw a conclusion. I'll have to surf the web to see what is out there on the subject of mixing them.

I have to say the you done a great job on the backup vocals, they sound nice. The guitar solo comes across very well.

Please keep in mind that I come from the old analog school of mixing. It's my personal opinion that digital mixes, tend to sound a bit harsh. Plus the fact that I'm a old dog, as well.
Thanks Steven. I did push the vocals a bit too hard and a touch to harsh. But I do like an up front vocal sound, especially with a nice sweet song like this.
I wrote some of my mix notes on your post before reading this, so I won't repeat them here.

PS: I also come from the analogue days of massive desks and tape machines.
Long live the old dogs ...
(25-03-2015, 01:41 PM)Third Party Wrote: Thanks Steven. I did push the vocals a bit too hard and a touch to harsh. But I do like an up front vocal sound, especially with a nice sweet song like this.
I wrote some of my mix notes on your post before reading this, so I won't repeat them here.

PS: I also come from the analogue days of massive desks and tape machines.
Long live the old dogs ...

Thanks for the extra notes on your mix. They were helpful, and I did apply a couple of them to my new mix revision.

I like some of the digital recording world, however, when I purchase more new gear, I'll get a analog mixer. I really love that old analog/vinyl sound. Yes, "Long Live the Old Dogs"
Although I love the old days, my future goals is where we differ.

I own 2 digital desks and 2 analogue desks which I'm sure I will never use again. My next live desk will probably be a control surface like the RM series from Presonus.

You can create the old sound from the new gear, but you can't create the new flexibility from the old gear. This old dog is learning new tricks ...

But there's a place for all of it. As long as it sounds good and you're having fun. Rock on!
It caught my attention. Really good, held me on listening to the whole track! If anything I would like lead vox a bit closer, a tad less room. One of the best upright basses i´ve heard. Actually I didn´t pay any attention to it at all.... and I usually do in a negetive manner when it comes to upright basses.
Thanks for listening. I appreciate the feedback.
Hey, you got a great mix here, very nice. Everything in the right place
(27-01-2015, 06:32 AM)Third Party Wrote: Thanks James. I appreciate your comments. I come from a live mixing background and still learning the studio craft. Although my ears are old and suffering the punishment of many years either behind a kit or behind the desk, I am learning to compensate.

I haven't listened to your mix yet but will do. Cheers ...

Perry
Hi Third Party - I come from a live mixing background, too, but always preferred the studio. Since the cost of setting up something pretty accurate is drastically lower than it was a decade or two ago, I've much enjoyed building up the studio and working in it.
I had a couple thoughts on your mix: You might find that some automation could make the changes in pan, etc., less abrupt. An example from my mix would be the guitar solo. I had it far right, but as he started into his solo, I gently brought it across toward the center and then slowly back toward the right at the end - as if it were live and he walked up to the center for his solo and then moved back. I get what you wanted from panning things out for the chorus to make it jump out bigger - that works and is a good idea - but some automation could make it smoother and more natural.
Also, if you want that upright bass to warm up the bottom more, you can cut the bottom out of most everything else to make room for it in the frequency spectrum. That really helped me bring it forward until it wraps around you like a warm sweater. Smile
To hear these suggestions in action - check out my mix...
Cheers!