Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Motherlode (mixed at The Shack)
This is my mix of Motherlode. Great song but this genre is way outside my comfort zone. I appreciate any feedback.

.mp3    Motherlode.mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

OH MY GOD WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE BACKGROUND VOCALS?!?!? HOW DID YOU MAKE THEM WORK?!?!
I like the mix, nothing jumps out in a bad way at me. Maybe your compressor is being hit a little hard on the Acoustic Solo, so maybe check your fader a little bit on that. Good swing!

Draper
Thanks Draper. I did a bit of work on the BGV as they were pretty horrible in the track. I created a double by copying each of the repeated phrases, panning one left and moving the right ones forward (i.e. chorus 2 on the left is paired with chorus 1 on the right, and so on ...). Then I panned them not too hard left and right, and then some simple processing. I popped the guitar solo a bit 'cos I thought it sounded great and needed to jump ... but maybe it's a bit too hot. Gee it's a great song though. Might have to mix a few more of this style.

I really appreciate your feedback. Cheers ...
3rd,

Great mix, I really like it. The vocals are nice and clear and out front, and your guitar solo is in the middleCool This sounds pro, in fact just before I posted mine, I listened to this but I posted mine anyhow~!Blush
James Joseph
Pro Tools 11
UAD Quad
Chicago, USA
Thanks James. I appreciate your comments. I come from a live mixing background and still learning the studio craft. Although my ears are old and suffering the punishment of many years either behind a kit or behind the desk, I am learning to compensate.

I haven't listened to your mix yet but will do. Cheers ...

Perry
Really good job on this, I tried this one a long time ago and man, those bgv needed a lot of work (which I didn't do). You put in the work and made them shine. Really nice.

I hear you on the ears, I play live quite a lot and mix live as well. Both of those have me sitting in pretty rough environments for my hearing hours at an end. Then again, it's way too much fun to not do it Smile
Hey, sounds great! Trying to return the favour as you gave me feedback on mine. Between the pick sounds of the various guitars, the snare and the vocal consonants, there's a lot of information and transients happening in the 2.5-8k range. You could maybe try cuts at different frequencies on different instruments in that range to spread it out a bit more and make that area a bit less crowded. So make one guitar darker than the other etc. BVs sounds great!
Thanks George. I haven't listened to my mix in a while. I have some new monitors to bed in so I reckon I'll probably go back and review a few of my old mixes over the coming weeks. That range is where my left ear can be a bit temperamental and I gotta be careful not to overcompensate. Thanks for the feedback. Gee its a nice song though.
Good mix, back vocals are great but main vocal is a little nith harsh to my ears ( try cutting around 2kHz and 7k and boosting around 12k to get more air). All instruments work great.