Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Flyin - Mix #2
Decided to give this a new try with a brand new mix. (Old mix here)

Replaced kick and snare with samples. Toms are original. 

Reamped DI tracks with Mercuriall Ampbox.

It wasn't as much of a pain as the first time I did this, but somewhat tedious nontheless. Smile

Edit: V4, refined some things. Less highs, and brought back some low mids in the snare.

.m4a    TheApprehended_StillFlyin-2.m4a --  (Download: 11.17 MB)

.m4a    TheApprehended_StillFlyin.m4a --  (Download: 11.19 MB)

.m4a    TheApprehended_StillFlyin-3.m4a --  (Download: 11.21 MB)

.m4a    TheApprehended_StillFlyin-4.m4a --  (Download: 11.03 MB)

Focusrite Solo | Presonus Eris E5 | Custom box JBL subwoofer | Sennheiser 6XX | Reaper
the is sounding pretty good. The only thing for me is the snare is kinda too forward. At least there are some frequencies that are too forward. Kick sits nicely with bass, toms, guitars, and vocals.. but the snare for some reason sound like it was added after the fact. I'm not sure if I explain my self right.
Another thing for me is the solo leads before the bridge, the ones panned left and right are too soft. Then need to be more forward.

overall this is great man.. and it's a hard mix!!
(03-06-2024, 04:16 AM)Shul Wrote: the is sounding pretty good. The only thing for me is the snare is kinda too forward. At least there are some frequencies that are too forward. Kick sits nicely with bass, toms, guitars, and vocals.. but the snare for some reason sound like it was added after the fact. I'm not sure if I explain my self right.
Another thing for me is the solo leads before the bridge, the ones panned left and right are too soft. Then need to be more forward.

overall this is great man.. and it's a hard mix!!

Hey,

Thanks so much for the feedback and kind words! I had the same feeling about the snare, I thought I had solved it but apparently not. Smile

I'll revise and see if I'm able to fix the problems, not entirely sure what to do about the snare. I tried lowering the volume here, but I'm not sure it fixes the problem of it sounding sort of fake.
Focusrite Solo | Presonus Eris E5 | Custom box JBL subwoofer | Sennheiser 6XX | Reaper
Hey sondretski,

The mix is nicely balanced. I really like the kick and bass relation, it goes well.
For my taste the snare is a bit "weak", and snappy, I would like to hear more body, and in the chorus it's buried completely

Love the guitar tones
Anyway, nicely done

Cheers
MacPro 5,1 - Monteret | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
(03-06-2024, 02:53 PM)filipandrei Wrote: Hey sondretski,

The mix is nicely balanced. I really like the kick and bass relation, it goes well.
For my taste the snare is a bit "weak", and snappy, I would like to hear more body, and in the chorus it's buried completely

Love the guitar tones
Anyway, nicely done

Cheers

Hey filipandrei,

thanks for the comments and feedback! The snare has issues for sure. I think more body is a good call. The update was more to see if the oddness of it had gone away or not, I might as well delete it for now. I will revise properly a bit later. Smile

Thanks again, cheers!
Updated with V2, not sure if I'm happy with the snare. Still feels like it has something odd to it, but I feel it's better at least.
SOLID Balance man, love the upfront vocals! Only thing I can point out as others have, the snare could use a bit more girth (Snares always get me, I'll work for hours and then end up hating it the next day) 

Great mix!!!
-Pro Tools
Hey sondretski,

The snare, it's a little better, but I would prefer it to be a bit louder in the mix.
Maybe try what BloodStench suggested, a bit more girth

The rest is nicely done

Cheers
(06-06-2024, 02:22 AM)BloodStench Wrote: SOLID Balance man, love the upfront vocals! Only thing I can point out as others have, the snare could use a bit more girth (Snares always get me, I'll work for hours and then end up hating it the next day) 

Great mix!!!

(06-06-2024, 05:52 AM)filipandrei Wrote: Hey sondretski,

The snare, it's a little better, but I would prefer it to be a bit louder in the mix.
Maybe try what BloodStench suggested, a bit more girth

The rest is nicely done

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yeah the snare, I feel it sort of sticks out whenever I raise the volume on it. Here it is a couple db louder and with some bottom boost. It sounds good, but it sounds a bit fake too, I feel. Or is it just me?

.m4a    TheApprehended_StillFlyin-snare.m4a --  (Download: 11.21 MB)

Hey sondretski,

It sounds better to me now.
No, I don't think it sounds "fake"

I think you should also boost a bit of the hi-mid freq. on the snare, but, to me at least, it's better

Cheers