Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believe (jtbStudio mix)
The hardest thing about this mix was managing the long-term song dynamics. There's a lot happening with the arrangement, but it's mostly quite subtle, and for the casual listener, it's verse, chorus, break, verse, four choruses, outro, so I spent a lot time automating stuff so that the song built up over the 4 choruses.

I usually build a song up from the drums and bass, but in this case, it felt like the acoustic guitar was the foundation on which the song was built, so I started with that. The attack was really unpleasant, so I tamed that with some very fast compression (Stillwell's Rocket, ~170 usecs), and some dynamic EQ at 4.1 kHz to control a bit of tonal inconsistency. A broad boost at around 860 Hz gave it some body, and a bit of Vibe EQ at 6 kHz and high-shelf to give it some air. Polyverse's Wider gave it some stereo width, increasing slightly over the 4 choruses, as the song builds up.

Most of the work on the vocal was spent trying to control the sibilance Undecided I bunged a de-esser on the track, but still needed to automate it quite a lot. Still not super happy with it, but life intrudes and I need to put this one to bed.

Everything else pretty much mixed itself. The band had obviously spent time preparing the tracks, and most of them sounded pretty good as they were, so it was just a matter of tweaking them slightly so that they fit into the mix.

.mp3    Believe (jtbStudio).mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com

Personally I think the guitar is very intrusive for the rest of the tracks. I remember when I mixed this song I couldn't help but to think why would the guitar player strum the crap out of this with all out intensity , especially with a song being relaxed and chill.

Guitar is on top of everything else and is masking the drums and some of the other details on strings piano etc. I think muting the guitar and mixing everything else without it would help you bring out the arrangement better. Then bringing in the acoustic guitar slowly without going over the rest of the tracks will give you a better result.
(04-05-2024, 08:27 PM)Shul Wrote: Personally I think the guitar is very intrusive for the rest of the tracks. I remember when I mixed this song I couldn't help but to think why would the guitar player strum the crap out of this with all out intensity

I guess it's a question of taste. Yours was one of the ones I used as a reference, and I though the guitar was far too quiet  Smile

I agree with the guitar having the crap strummed out of it, which was one of the things I was referring to when trying to control the attack, to smooth it out a bit, and make it more even.
Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com