Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cross Roads
Great song. Remind me of the Stones. Good times. Those were the days Smile.

.mp3    Slimysoulsuckers-TheCrossRoad-Trampmix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.84 MB)

I think the balances work for the most part but needs more bass energy overall. It's sounding quite thin in the energy department.
I'd start by boosting that bass like 3dbs or 4. The kick low energy should also help here. If you are high passing it, don't. Maybe boost some 90hz on it to get that thump.
The guitars also if you are highpassing them just highpass from 100hz and below. That way you keep the thickness in them.
(01-05-2024, 03:23 AM)Shul Wrote: I think the balances work for the most part but needs more bass energy overall. It's sounding quite thin in the energy department.
I'd start by boosting that bass like 3dbs or 4. The kick low energy should also help here. If you are high passing it, don't. Maybe boost some 90hz on it to get that thump.
The guitars also if you are highpassing them just highpass from 100hz and below. That way you keep the thickness in them.
Thanks, man, for pointing it out for me. The bass/kick have always been a problem for me, sitting them to where it should be is just too hard for me right now as I am trying to gauge the levels of a new monitoring system, headphones. I had been using speakers 3-4 yrs until last month, not that I did any better then but it was more familiar. Each system has its own demon I have to deal with. And so I do, no time to waste Smile. Furthermore, I should have taken a break, but I couldn't stop until ear fatigue set in, and then it'd be too late. Lesson learned. But you know how it is, bad habit die hard Smile

I usually HP the guitars, at most, around what you suggested <100Hz. Sometimes I have to do more, up to 200-300Hz, but mostly bc they recorded a thousand guitars in the song. My ears seek for top end in general, I like bright sounds/mix and am guided to eq them as such. Perhaps, that's why you thought I HP a bit too much.

Anywayz, I'll go back to it in a couple days and work on it more with your suggestions. Thanks, man, for the listen and the time to comment. It helps a great deal.
Have to agree with Shul here, the bass and kick need to come up.

Apart from that the balance seems good to me. Minor nitpick would be the toms which lack a bit of sustain in my opinion.
Maybe the "brass" track could also be a bit louder.

All in all nice work Smile
@KucasL. Thanks, man. A sample of 2 is better than 1, right? Thanks for doing it.