Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RockMe-FacingTheTruth
@Roy. That's the hard part of mixing, imo, everything works while nothing works. It depends on just so many variables, genre, tempo, keys, performance, equipment, etc, just to name only a "few," I am sure I can come up with at least 1,000 more given enough time Smile. I am no mathematician, but I can safely say that's a formula for disaster, with so many variables. That's why, to me, mixing is such a challenge. Luckily, I am among you stubborn freaks Smile. I like challenges. I lost many times but always enjoy the process, frustrating and life-ending they might be at times. Defeats motivate me Smile. I also have this stupid all surrendering love for music and mixing. I guess that helps dealing with the frustration I have to endure in the learning stage. I don't think I can survive this type of torturing going without.

I do want to mix for fun, my ultimate goal. But "fun" is not what I am looking for as of now, I am not good enough for that level. Maybe for you, bc of your experience and expertise, it's easy to get into that frame of mind. For me, tho, I still don't know what the hell I am doing, so no fun is to be had until that's done. I can only move on if things sound like the way I wanted them to sound. Give me a couple more months (very optimistic here. I may have overshot it). When I am ready, I'll tell you. Right now I need your help with levels balance so that I can sit them where I feel confident to work. The sooner I get it the sooner I get to the fun level. Who doesn't like to have fun, right? Thanks for pointing to the direction, I am heading there!
Well, I have to say do I like your positive attitude. Remember any kind of breakthrough, however small, is a win. Figuring out what not to do is also a win too as it all helps move things forward.

I generally agree with Roy's notes regarding v3. The mix is moving in the right direction still which is really great, well done on that score. I don't mind the bass level so much. Regarding the mix sounding a bit flat - I feel that could perhaps be fixed by adding a bit of a lift with a high shelf or a bit of eq boost on some of the guitars and vocals perhaps? Somewhere around 4-8k maybe?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
@mikej. Thanks for words of encouragement. Sure, learning anything is always a win. And you guys teach me good stuffs Smile.

Went back and worked on it more doing things you suggested. I think I cut a little too much on the guitars to make room for the snare on the hi mid in previous mix. It made the guitars duller than they are. Perhaps that's why Roy said it was flat.

I hope I brought the mix back to where it should have been. But if not, I can always go back and do another redo Smile. Thanks, man. I wouldn't be able to to breach this wall without your help on the compression.
(03-05-2024, 12:22 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: @mikej. Thanks for words of encouragement. Sure, learning anything is always a win. And you guys teach me good stuffs Smile.

Went back and worked on it more doing things you suggested. I think I cut a little too much on the guitars to make room for the snare on the hi mid in previous mix. It made the guitars duller than they are. Perhaps that's why Roy said it was flat.

I hope I brought the mix back to where it should have been. But if not, I can always go back and do another redo Smile. Thanks, man. I wouldn't be able to to breach this wall without your help on the compression.

Hi,

[Mix 4]

Well, no need for a complete redo Smile. For me this just needs some more low end weight around 60-70Hz, and then just a touch of 3Khz I think?  Screenshot attached.

Cheers!

Thumbnail(s)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!