Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crownoise - Catch the wave
Hi!

Crownoise - I feel Y's man is genuinely trying to help you out here.

From recent personal experience it can be easy for both sides to come off maybe a bit more blunt/harsh than is actually intended and for us to sometimes take comments a bit too much to heart, especially as we all put in a lot of effort and passion here with our mixes.

It is important to bear in mind that it is easy for our ears to get tired and burned out without realising it, so people might genuinely not be hearing things as objetively as they might. We all need to be a little sympathetic towards each other regarding this, as it happens to us all. If we've been mixing intently all day our ears and perception might not be the best, and it can be helpful to take a break of a day or so from a mix before evaluating it.

As we all have different tastes, aims, skill levels and different monitoring, etc, I feel it would maybe be helpful to see if we can't be somewhat objective about this.

I find the balance of the library mix to be subjectively ok. We can also use commercial tracks for reference too, for example let's look at The Weeknd - Blinding Lights. Monitoring differences aside, this is something we can all try out - it would be interesting to know what others think too.

Our perception is easily swayed by volume differences, so when comparing tracks it's useful to level match them as best as we can, so I aim to level each track to around -6db. It's also helpful to look at a frequency analyser too, as that can also be helpful guide to show us what is going on.

Ok, with all 3 tracks lined up and level matched in the DAW so I can switch between them:

Just for the purposes of this test we will take the library mix as the 'control' and make all references to this mix.

So, to me the library mix is broadly flat, with slightly raised lows and highs (maybe slightly scooped in that 500Hz region).

The Weeknd track is similar, but has way more sub low end - bass content looks to be down to 30-40 Hz, and therefore sounds a lot bassier.

The crownoise mix to me sounds very mid forward and doesn't have as much low or high end information. If you look at the frequency graph, as Y's man says it looks like a curve that peaks around the 2k mark.

It's useful to check mixes against a few different tracks of similar genre to get an idea of where the ballpark is.

Let's keep this thread a positive discussion about the mix.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(28-07-2022, 08:33 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Crownoise - I feel Y's man is genuinely trying to help you out here. 

From recent personal experience it can be easy for both sides to come off maybe a bit more blunt/harsh than is actually intended and for us to sometimes take comments a bit too much to heart, especially as we all put in a lot of effort and passion here with our mixes.

It is important to bear in mind that it is easy for our ears to get tired and burned out without realising it, so people might genuinely not be hearing things as objetively as they might.  We all need to be a little sympathetic towards each other regarding this, as it happens to us all.  If we've been mixing intently all day our ears and perception might not be the best, and it can be helpful to take a break of a day or so from a mix before evaluating it.

As we all have different tastes, aims, skill levels and different monitoring, etc, I feel it would maybe be helpful to see if we can't be somewhat objective about this.

I find the balance of the library mix to be subjectively ok.  We can also use commercial tracks for reference too, for example let's look at The Weeknd - Blinding Lights.  Monitoring differences aside, this is something we can all try out - it would be interesting to know what others think too.

Our perception is easily swayed by volume differences, so when comparing tracks it's useful to level match them as best as we can, so I aim to level each track to around -6db.  It's also helpful to look at a frequency analyser too, as that can also be helpful guide to show us what is going on.

Ok, with all 3 tracks lined up and level matched in the DAW so I can switch between them:

Just for the purposes of this test we will take the library mix as the 'control' and make all references to this mix.

So, to me the library mix is broadly flat, with slightly raised lows and highs (maybe slightly scooped in that 500Hz region).

The Weeknd track is similar, but has way more sub low end - bass content looks to be down to 30-40 Hz, and therefore sounds a lot bassier.

The crownoise mix to me sounds very mid forward and doesn't have as much low or high end information.  If you look at the frequency graph, as Y's man says it looks like a curve that peaks around the 2k mark.

It's useful to check mixes against a few different tracks of similar genre to get an idea of where the ballpark is.

Let's keep this thread a positive discussion about the mix. 

Cheers!
i wish i was so eloquent! but couldnt agree more and is exactly the same reference track i would suggest for any of the synthy modern songs! sorry crownoise if i came off harsh i type as im listening.
Hi crownoise. I listened to your mix. You applied strong compression. The signal is on the verge of clipping. Drums are missing transients. There are too many middle tones. The bottom of the EQ band is missing. Your mixes are good, but this mix needs some changes. 
Cheers