Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umphrey's McGee - Crucial Taunt
Hey mikej,

Mix 3
The guitars and the Hammond are sounding great. Lowend is tighter now, and the bass and kick are more on the same "ball-park" (if I may)
For my tastes, the vocal seems a bit behind, maybe too much reverb?

Anyway, great and nice balanced mix

Cheers
P.S. Love the drums sound!
MacPro 5,1 - Monteret | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Thanks. Regarding the low end I think I might actually need to turn up my sub a touch here to get it right. I have a bit of a blind spot with the kick in rock music due to listening to a lot of house music, etc.

Fair comment regarding the vocal. I did put a bit more plate reverb on the vocals and guitars than I would do normally. I thought it sounded quite cool and helped it all gel a bit. I had the mix really quite dry initially and felt it was missing something.

I've actually been researching Tom Lord Alge a bit recently and have also been listening to some One OK Rock to get some drum mixing inspiration!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey Mike ,sorry for the late response(I don't get notifications) I can see what the problem with the kick drum is now , It has low end but not enough definition in the mix. The straight forward solution would be to turn down the low end boost on the kick if you've got one and turn the whole kick up , Or you could try a kick drum beater sample and blend it in to get that midrange. As is the low end seems solid now and not so 'pokey' , Good job! Cheers!
Hi,

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I think you are right. I seem to recall the kick is kind of all low end and click. I'll see what I can come up with.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Added mix 4.0 - better kick definition.

Cheers!