Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SomeDay (hard to mix)
Well my game is getting rusty.. so it was quite hard to get here. What did you guys do to your snare?? mine sounds kinda dead. Care to pitch in on your snare work? did you guys end up using samples to go with it?? My mix was tracks only, but I could see a benefit on sampled snare.

.mp3    SOMEDAY.mp3 --  (Download: 7.31 MB)

It doesn't feel far off. I think lead vocals are a bit...cloudy? I can't put my finger on it. The could be out front more but not too much louder. It might be an eq/compression thing. The lead vocal just feels a bit restraint and could have more life and energy.

As for the snare I can't recall what I did but I do know I used some samples. Mostly though just because I wanted to practice using them. If you haven't I'd say check the phase between the top and bottom snare. I don't remember if it was an issue in this song but I think the previous song they uploaded had some phase issues. Beyond that, I did all the typical stuff one may do to the snare. I think I had some issue with leakage in the snare mic that I found annoying. I think the snare you got works.

This song has a lot going on in the upper midrange area so it's tough to get everything heard without them fighting each other.
(09-01-2022, 08:28 PM)Shul Wrote: Well my game is getting rusty.. so it was quite hard to get here. What did you guys do to your snare?? mine sounds kinda dead. Care to pitch in on your snare work? did you guys end up using samples to go with it?? My mix was tracks only, but I could see a benefit on sampled snare.
Flip the phase on snare top mic
Mr. Loud
Phase was flipped. It's what I check for when the snare sounds oddly THIN. So for sure wasn't recorded with polarity switch on.

Thanks for feedback guys!
I like the approach, I will try to mix this one too! It sounds like the arrangement is pretty bold in the mid range, am I right?

Cheers,
Mike
For me the guitars are slightly muddy and conflicting with the vox a fair bit . Also the mix could be a bit more dynamic as its all a bit flat
Overall tho not a bad first mix
(09-01-2022, 10:21 PM)The Wizzards Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 08:28 PM)Shul Wrote: Well my game is getting rusty.. so it was quite hard to get here. What did you guys do to your snare?? mine sounds kinda dead. Care to pitch in on your snare work? did you guys end up using samples to go with it?? My mix was tracks only, but I could see a benefit on sampled snare.
Flip the phase on snare top mic
Hey man fun thing that you did this, i accidentally flipped the top snare and the bottom came back to the whole snare so did same for my mix Big Grin.