Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Amy Helm & Handsome Strangers [Andrey Benassi Mix]
(23-02-2021, 04:40 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: * This post is for the first version. Not the second one.
@0:27, the vocal ducked down noticeably. From 1:27- forward, the e-guitar move is too obvious. The kick is buried when the vocal gets louder. Solo the mandolin tracks and you'll hear the bleed, the mud of the snare, and the mud of the vocal in it. Perhaps it is the source of your rather dark rhythm section. You can say that's bc of "live" performance, but I can say the same to everything. It doesn't matter how it comes to us, we, as mixers, must do whatever in our power to overcome the difficulty and make everything as listenable as we can. If we have to go to the extreme to get it, then let it be, imo. If you HP the bass all the way to 20kHz Smile (talk about extremity) and I still hear it and the mix is still banging then by all means HP it all the way there, right? I listen to the mix as a whole, if nothing jumps out at me then it is a good mix. The beauty is: no one notices what we did to the instruments. If I have to aim, that would be my target. To be invisible.

I have to admit that I do listen to others' mixes with critical ears. I am more of a technician, not an artist, not yet, at this level. I worry about the mud, the sub, the compressors, intelligibility, punch, etc. technical stuffs. So I pay more attention there. If I run into a great mix, I'd listen to it more to learn. I'd try to guess all the moves and mimic it best I can. I'd love it if someone tells me how sucky my mix is (truthfully, not trying to rain on my parade) and can actually show me how to correct it and make it better. A few in here already did that, and my mix actually got better. Now looking back on those early mixes I feel grateful to the folks that helped me out by criticizing my mixes.
If you were my client, I would do the changes easily, but again, this is interpretation, is obvious that the guitar move comes in, because he played like that.
We as engineers make the hole thing playing together, we dont fix musicians, we can try to fix small things here and there, but all we try is to make song moves.
Again, the details you talk about don't bother me AT ALL, because the musicians played like that, it was INTENTIONAL!

I can agree, we as engineers need to make everything good to listen to, but it really matter how it comes to us, you by "normalizing" all of guitars riffs and licks, you will killing that "blues vibe" of the song, that somethings comes in, sometimes come out.

It's hard to say that a disagree with you with almost everything, but we're here trying to understand different tastes of music, aren't we?

You're paying attention to the really small details that you know that are there because you probably opened de multitracks and saw whats happening...
Things didn't work for me that way! The biggest prove to me that I'm correct at least in this point of view, is the original session on youtube, a huge responsibility for the mixing engineer as it is an incredible brand as Telefunken with this details you've mentioned are not acceptable, happening.

Is my mix the perfect one? No, far far way from that,
I like the original mix? Not too much! Its working? Yeah, for sure.
You can contact me for professional jobs, editing, mixing & mastering, mixing classes!
Would be a pleasure to work with you!
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Amy Helm & Handsome Strangers [Pro Mixer] - by andreybenassi - 23-02-2021, 05:17 PM