Discussion Zone
Amy Helm & Handsome Strangers [Andrey Benassi Mix] - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Pop, Singer-Songwriter (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: 'Rescue Me' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=422)
+---- Thread: Amy Helm & Handsome Strangers [Andrey Benassi Mix] (/showthread.php?tid=37724)

Pages: 1 2

Amy Helm & Handsome Strangers [Andrey Benassi Mix] - andreybenassi - 22-02-2021

Hi, I work as professional mixing enginner, if you were the client, what would you change? Did you like at all?
Let me know your toughts, would be great to have a nice conversation about mixing, there's no rules, it's about the music!

No drum samples was used, just the original tracks that was provided, that actually sound amazing...

Fast mix, about 2 hours without stopping, a lot of volume automation to make the song fits and grow.

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1xmRdlgnW8&feature=youtu.be

Cheers!

RE: Amy Helm & Handsome Strangers [Pro Mixer] - SonicTramp - 23-02-2021

I like what I hear so far. I like the dark snare. I also like the kick in some parts. Obviously the mix needs a bit more attention, but in 2 hours? I think you've done well. It probably took me that long just to gain stage, color my tracks, and cleaning my bowl Smile. I'd be interested in hearing your best mix, man. Give it to me. I'll give you my critique (quite a rare commodity in here surprisingly) and yeah, I'll be...prying. Let me be your worst customer Smile. Cheers!

RE: Amy Helm & Handsome Strangers [Pro Mixer] - takka360 - 23-02-2021

The automation is pretty bad .I don't hear what's so pro here

RE: Amy Helm & Handsome Strangers [Pro Mixer] - andreybenassi - 23-02-2021

(23-02-2021, 06:03 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: I like what I hear so far. I like the dark snare. I also like the kick in some parts. Obviously the mix needs a bit more attention, but in 2 hours? I think you've done well. It probably took me that long just to gain stage, color my tracks, and cleaning my bowl Smile. I'd be interested in hearing your best mix, man. Give it to me. I'll give you my critique (quite a rare commodity in here surprisingly) and yeah, I'll be...prying. Let me be your worst customer Smile. Cheers!
Hey Sonic, thanks for the feedback!

This is ment to be a live show, not a studio song kinda thing with a lot of nuances, there no instruments at all so there's not too much to do it more than 2 hours.
I didn't understand what you meant by "i like the kick some times", could you explain it a little bit more?
This is my final mix, I don't think I would change it more at all, so give you complete feedback, I would be honor to hear what you feel.
Remember that the mix isn't just "The snare sounds good", "The Kick sounds nice"
Is about everything, are they in the same song? How do you feel? Are they helping the song?

Thanks!

(23-02-2021, 08:39 AM)takka360 Wrote: The automation is pretty bad .I don't hear what's so pro here
Oh, that's bad, but thanks for the feedback.

What you expect to hear? Would be nice your feedback a little bit more.

Now I'll be giving my opinion here.

I work as a mixing engineer, whether you like it or not, that's what I do, you don't have to like, so I'm good with it, but it seemed to me that you are too worried with the "pro" thing and would like to hear a new song with crazy automation, what do you think that would be the right move to do with this song? Listen to the original song then we talk.

(23-02-2021, 12:06 PM)andreybenassi Wrote:
(23-02-2021, 06:03 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: I like what I hear so far. I like the dark snare. I also like the kick in some parts. Obviously the mix needs a bit more attention, but in 2 hours? I think you've done well. It probably took me that long just to gain stage, color my tracks, and cleaning my bowl Smile. I'd be interested in hearing your best mix, man. Give it to me. I'll give you my critique (quite a rare commodity in here surprisingly) and yeah, I'll be...prying. Let me be your worst customer Smile. Cheers!

This is ment to be a live show, not a studio song kinda thing with a lot of nuances, there no instruments at all so there's not too much to do it more than 2 hours.
I didn't understand what you meant by "i like the kick some times", could you explain it a little bit more?
This is my final mix, I don't think I would change it more at all, so give you complete feedback, I would be honor to hear what you feel.
Remember that the mix isn't just "The snare sounds good", "The Kick sounds nice"
Is about everything, are they in the same song? How do you feel? Are they helping the song?

Thanks!
* Well, the way I see it is no matter what kind of vibe (studio/live) a mixer is trying to get, the first thing to do is cleaning up all the undesirables (bleed, noise, click, instruments drifting in and out, etc, stuffs like that), control the dynamics, and balancing, probably in that order. Your mix is not reaching its optimal condition on those aspects yet, imo. I still hear the e-guitar coming in and out at times. Some of the words are the same, uneven volume. And same with kick. Dynamically speaking, imo, that's not acceptable. That's why I said I liked it "in some parts" bc I could hear it better in some parts. Our skill lies in presenting a mix so perfect that listeners should only pay attention to the song, not the mix. I am still distracted by many technical flaws. That's how it translates to me. Others may disagree, and I am o.k. with it.

What I notice in this business is you gotta have thick skin, man, or you're not gonna survive. I have stuffs pointed out for me to the point of embarrassment, but I have learned much too. Most people come here for technical advice and as such most people in here also give out advice about technical flaws. We do bc this is the place for such purpose. Be ready for that.

But if you separate yourself bc you think you are technically superior than us (pro vs novice) then be even more ready for a good beating on your mix Smile. Psychologically speaking, that is a dangerous position to take if you don't have thick skin. If you want us (or at least me) to submit, your mix MUST blow everybody's and mine out of the water. If that is the case, then I'd probably bug you to teach me. I have no problem learning. I love learning new things, whether or not it's musical.

Hope that explains it somewhat. Cheers!

(23-02-2021, 02:57 PM)SonicTramp Wrote:
(23-02-2021, 12:06 PM)andreybenassi Wrote:

Thanks!
* Well, the way I see it is no matter what kind of vibe (studio/live) a mixer is trying to get, the first thing to do is cleaning up all the undesirables (bleed, noise, click, instruments drifting in and out, etc, stuffs like that), control the dynamics, and balancing, probably in that order. Your mix is not reaching its optimal condition on those aspects yet, imo. I still hear the e-guitar coming in and out at times. Some of the words are the same, uneven volume. And same with kick. Dynamically speaking, imo, that's not acceptable. That's why I said I liked it "in some parts" bc I could hear it better in some parts. Our skill lies in presenting a mix so perfect that listeners should only pay attention to the song, not the mix. I am still distracted by many technical flaws. That's how it translates to me. Others may disagree, and I am o.k. with it.

What I notice in this business is you gotta have thick skin, man, or you're not gonna survive. I have stuffs pointed out for me to the point of embarrassment, but I have learned much too. Most people come here for technical advice and as such most people in here also give out advice about technical flaws. We do bc this is the place for such purpose. Be ready for that.

But if you separate yourself bc you think you are technically superior than us (pro vs novice) then be even more ready for a good beating on your mix Smile. Psychologically speaking, that is a dangerous position to take if you don't have thick skin. If you want us (or at least me) to submit, your mix MUST blow everybody's and mine out of the water. If that is the case, then I'd probably bug you to teach me. I have no problem learning. I love learning new things, whether or not it's musical.

Hope that explains it somewhat. Cheers!

Thats a good feedback!

I have no problem in have some feedback in my mixes, but we need to have a respectful conversation about it, so we both can learn something!
I'm here to learn too, don't get me wrong!

In this mix, I worked to get it sound like almost a rough good live studio sound, I did some automations so the guitars could grow with the song, since it starts and ends almost identical.

About your recall, there's some imporant things that we can discuss!

"the first thing to do is cleaning up all the undesirables (bleed, noise, click, instruments drifting in and out, etc, stuffs like that), control the dynamics, and balancing, probably in that order. Your mix is not reaching its optimal condition on those aspects yet, imo. I still hear the e-guitar coming in and out at times. Some of the words are the same, uneven volume. And same with kick. Dynamically speaking, imo, that's not acceptable. That's why I said I liked it "in some parts" bc I could hear it better in some parts. Our skill lies in presenting a mix so perfect that listeners should only pay attention to the song, not the mix. I am still distracted by many technical flaws. That's how it translates to me. Others may disagree, and I am o.k. with it."

Yeah, I like that! 

Can you point in my mix, where do you feel that kind of like bleed, noise, instrument drifiting and etc?? 
I did try, but it was part of their performance.
-
Lets a talk about the instruments itself and "uneven" sounds.

Sometimes, you may think  "wanna hear the kick more even", but the real definition in the original playing was not that perfect, and it's okay since musicians have their nuances.
Sometimes he hits harder, sometimes he doesn't, and it affects a lot the perception of the kick in the song.

The instrument drifts dynamics perception in the mix, they play soft, and by doing that, you have some lack of definition in the tone by itself, the biggest problems I hear people calling "mix recall" is to fix things to sound like what he wants in his head (the kick needs to sound like the beater is always in the same volume, the low end is extremely even), and generally this doesn't work, just look around, at what are the biggest problems with beginner mixes?
Extreme processing, extreme compression, extreme eq moves, people looks like they need to have that to sounds good because they don't understand how the instrument should sound, and by processing that much, it will just doesnt work, it will sound fake and maybe harsh... talking about dynamic in the drums, you can use a sample to solve that, but then we would be talking about something different...

Did you get my point? I'm not talking about you're wrong, okay? I'm talking that sometimes, things doesn't need to be "even" because they really won't be in the mix.

-----
A day after the mix, what I would change? Scoop the snare a little bit, lower de vocals 1- 1.5dbs, maybe in the beggining, up the guitars or lower de mandolin, I have to test.
----

I did a second version with some changes, if you guys wanna check!

* This post is for the first version. Not the second one.
@0:27, the vocal ducked down noticeably. From 1:27- forward, the e-guitar move is too obvious. The kick is buried when the vocal gets louder. Solo the mandolin tracks and you'll hear the bleed, the mud of the snare, and the mud of the vocal in it. Perhaps it is the source of your rather dark rhythm section. You can say that's bc of "live" performance, but I can say the same to everything. It doesn't matter how it comes to us, we, as mixers, must do whatever in our power to overcome the difficulty and make everything as listenable as we can. If we have to go to the extreme to get it, then let it be, imo. If you HP the bass all the way to 20kHz Smile (talk about extremity) and I still hear it and the mix is still banging then by all means HP it all the way there, right? I listen to the mix as a whole, if nothing jumps out at me then it is a good mix. The beauty is: no one notices what we did to the instruments. If I have to aim, that would be my target. To be invisible.

I have to admit that I do listen to others' mixes with critical ears. I am more of a technician, not an artist, not yet, at this level. I worry about the mud, the sub, the compressors, intelligibility, punch, etc. technical stuffs. So I pay more attention there. If I run into a great mix, I'd listen to it more to learn. I'd try to guess all the moves and mimic it best I can. I'd love it if someone tells me how sucky my mix is (truthfully, not trying to rain on my parade) and can actually show me how to correct it and make it better. A few in here already did that, and my mix actually got better. Now looking back on those early mixes I feel grateful to the folks that helped me out by criticizing my mixes.

It's nice to see that you really paid attention to the details, it makes difference...
But give it a try, listen to the original version, it was make for TELENFUNKEN, you know how important is to sound good, right? Give it a listen with all your same attention, you will hear that almost all of your "feedbacks" will be the same, it's impossible to have a perfect mix, everytime you will find some things that could be "better".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiNg1d1fBD8