Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'A Sailor Once More v2'
UPDATE - Ok, so I reworked everything that seemed off to me from the first mix. 
I think I have the mix to set the standard now with v2.
Also fixed the acoustics Smile

let me know your thoughts [Image: smile.gif]

UPDATE 3 - Final version. 
I fixed all the transients of the tracks so they worked together better. 
I fixed the frequency holes in the Vocal track so it's correct on every other speaker I've heard it so far on.
I added sidechain compression to the piano, bass, and acoustic tracks from the drum track(Filtered at 20-95hz)
I added a delay to the main whistle
I added a delay to the electric guitar and panned it left
I automated a little more

I do understand that the acoustic guitars don't hit as much as in the intro of v2, but they were just to heavy coming from a 10" speaker. I think they feel better and its hard to get them good on everything

Also added v3.1 with more Drum presence just for fun (v3 is definitely better)

I better quit coming back to this song but its fun lol

.mp3    A Sailor Once More2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.27 MB)

.mp3    A Sailor Once More3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.27 MB)

.mp3    A Sailor Once More3.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.27 MB)

Sounds good, nice build.  Acoustic guitars are a bit too flamboyant for me though and distract from the main vocal.  I think they could be tamed a little to give the vocal the main focus.  I like the way shenal@89 has the guitars placed.  You could take a similar approach.  Big Grin
Dave
(04-02-2021, 09:45 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Sounds good, nice build.  Acoustic guitars are a bit too flamboyant for me though and distract from the main vocal.  I think they could be tamed a little to give the vocal the main focus.  I like the way shenal@89 has the guitars placed.  You could take a similar approach.  Big Grin
Dave
Fixed Smile
Nice work!
Very impressive mix. I like everything you did. You whipped it out quite quickly too; that's even more impressive. I could never do that; I work very slow. The only thing I can say is the snare is a bit rough on the hi-mid, the louder I listen the more abrasive it gets. Listen to lower volume is o.k., still a bit dominant but tolerable. The way you have the drums now is perfect for the entrance, big and clear, but the snare is rough. I had the same problem: big entrance but rough snare. So I decided to put a de-esser barely hitting it around 4k-up to tame it down a bit. You can use dynamic EQ or compressor to do that, more precise. I only have stock plug ins so the de-esser is the closet thing there is. It worked but the trade off is the entrance is not as big bc the drums gets a bit darker. Sigh, I still don't know what to do yet, but I like it more with the de-esser strapped in. Btw, by doing that, it seems my flute and strumming guitars and the shakers poke out better too.

Yep, the final polishing is a lot harder than we think. It requires more critical listening bc now, not only we have to worry about technical flaws, we also inject artistic vision, drive, energy into the mix. That's the wall we must climb bc behind it is where, I suspect and hope, the pros are having a blast, hanging out smoking and drinking and partying Smile. They say, " there are 2 tragedies in life, the first is not getting what you want, the other is getting it!". I am no stranger to the first. I want to experience the other one too Smile. I think you have the talent to do it. I wouldn't be too surprised if I see your name on some record label. But I'll be jealous, that's for sure Smile.
It just works man. Good job!
(05-02-2021, 11:56 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: Very impressive mix. I like everything you did. You whipped it out quite quickly too; that's even more impressive. I could never do that; I work very slow. The only thing I can say is the snare is a bit rough on the hi-mid, the louder I listen the more abrasive it gets. Listen to lower volume is o.k., still a bit dominant but tolerable. The way you have the drums now is perfect for the entrance, big and clear, but the snare is rough. I had the same problem: big entrance but rough snare. So I decided to put a de-esser barely hitting it around 4k-up to tame it down a bit. You can use dynamic EQ or compressor to do that, more precise. I only have stock plug ins so the de-esser is the closet thing there is. It worked but the trade off is the entrance is not as big bc the drums gets a bit darker. Sigh, I still don't know what to do yet, but I like it more with the de-esser strapped in. Btw, by doing that, it seems my flute and strumming guitars and the shakers poke out better too.

Yep, the final polishing is a lot harder than we think. It requires more critical listening bc now, not only we have to worry about technical flaws, we also inject artistic vision, drive, energy into the mix. That's the wall we must climb bc behind it is where, I suspect and hope, the pros are having a blast, hanging out smoking and drinking and partying Smile. They say, " there are 2 tragedies in life, the first is not getting what you want, the other is getting it!". I am no stranger to the first. I want to experience the other one too Smile. I think you have the talent to do it. I wouldn't be too surprised if I see your name on some record label. But I'll be jealous, that's for sure Smile.
Thank you very much! I think everyone has the talent in them to be pro, it just takes more to pry it out with some. The monitoring and the room are SO important as well. I'm only using VSX but I know how important it is. Mixing on computer speakers and just headphones alone, It would be like giving Leonardo Da Vinci 2 crayons, and telling him he's no good at drawing because he couldn't do the Mona Lisa with those 2 tools!
I think we will make it pro if we really have the drive and want it bad enough. As far as smoking, drinking, and partying, we make the rules as we go Smile 

I actually didn't have a Dynamic EQ so I had to get one, and wow this makes things so easy. I did a finally pass on the song, and I think I finally got all the transients sitting just where I want them.
Hi 401kBC, very nice mix! All I hear in v3 sounds good.
Cheers!
Auria Pro | Harrison Mixbus 32C
(06-02-2021, 11:21 PM)Patrono Music Wrote: Hi 401kBC, very nice mix! All I hear in v3 sounds good.
Cheers!
Thank you! Smile
Good mix, I enjoyed it.
I like the balance.
During the instumental I like the Flute and pipes.
The Acoustic guitars sound a bit "boxy" perhaps.
Vocals feel a tiny bit thin.
Over all nice listen.
Cheers!