Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strobe-Gone
Thanks for the listen. Socrates said, "to listen is human, to leave comment about the mix is divine!" Smile

.mp3    Strobe-Gone-Sonictramp.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

Now I see why you liked my mix  Smile
We have similar taste. Your mix is nice, one suggestion from me is to make music 3d. You mix is 2d. I use Waves UM225 plugin on some tracks with microshifting, so they get wide and heavy. I also use NX from waves to position audio in space even though the plugin is not supposed to be used for that, it works perfectly together with UM225 and on surround speakers I can hear the sound coming exactly form place where I placed it. Try to listen my mix on surround system, but its depth is noticeable with headphones as well.
(17-01-2021, 05:48 AM)EneX Wrote: Now I see why you liked my mix  Smile
We have similar taste. Your mix is nice, one suggestion from me is to make music 3d. You mix is 2d. I use Waves UM225 plugin on some tracks with microshifting, so they get wide and heavy. I also use NX from waves to position audio in space even though the plugin is not supposed to be used for that, it works perfectly together with UM225 and on surround speakers I can hear the sound coming exactly form place where I placed it. Try to listen my mix on surround system, but its depth is noticeable with headphones as well.

* Thanks for the comment, EneXNow. I'd love to try the 3D you mentioned, but I am under great technical and financial constrain, thanks to Pro tools and Apple, I still use PT11 and iOS mountain Lion, so no new plug in of any kind (only god knows why), to the point that most of the tools I use are stock Smile. Right now I just want to get the mix to the point where it is "serviceable" for the next steps. I am still learning, so there are still many problems I have not figured out what to do to achieve the maximum effect. For example, I still don't know how to control the bass-synth with never ending sustain, like a thick blanket covering my whole mix. Anyway, thanks for the listen. We always learn something when we leave comments, right?
Hi,

Hey not bad! I think you got the 3d vocal thing ok. I do like how you used the whisper track, very nice. I'd maybe not use it for the whole chorus though, and just keep it on the heart phrase or somehting like that maybe, to give the effect more impact?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(17-01-2021, 10:17 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Hey not bad!  I think you got the 3d vocal thing ok.  I do like how you used the whisper track, very nice.  I'd maybe not use it for the whole chorus though, and just keep it on the heart phrase or somehting like that maybe, to give the effect more impact?

Cheers!
**Thanks for noticing, great ears. I barely hear it. Man, I was struggling with the vocal (too much low) for a while then I randomly push faders up and found the whisper. I almost sh*t myself; before that, I was pushing 10dBs on ~3kHz on the vocal EQ to try to get some top end to it. My eyes say, "Dude, something is wrong. Nobody boosts that much!" but my ears say, "f*ck the eyes, man. The vocal needs more top end." Well, the whisper ends the battle quickly. It helps me solve the low end problem Smile I'll do what you suggest the next time around to see if it gets better. I think it would. Thanks, man. Have a good day!
Careful with the pr*fanities there plz.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hello, your mix is very good! Probably my favorite mix outof the ones I've heard. I really like the separation of everything. Its sounds very good out of my skullcandy headphones, and cheaper kali audio monitors. Through my VSX headphones it's a little more revealing. I think it's a little mono feeling at times. Maybe a little more reverb sauce and body on the main vocals. Maybe taking the vocal track you have now, and taking the original dark one, hipass around 250hz out, compress it heavy and blend it in when the vocals feel too small, or bright would be an interesting idea. Also another track, low cut from around 12k and down, add a few ms delay to the right side, and slightly different on the left side would make the vocals dance right through the mix. Everything sounds pretty dang perfect. Maybe slight more reverb in spots. The wideness of the mix is the best part of it. Everything feels very far but together. Just the vocals feel out of the music a little to much for me. Great mix Smile
(18-01-2021, 04:35 PM)401kBC Wrote: Hello, your mix is very good! Probably my favorite mix outof the ones I've heard. I really like the separation of everything. Its sounds very good out of my skullcandy headphones, and cheaper kali audio monitors. Through my VSX headphones it's a little more revealing. I think it's a little mono feeling at times. Maybe a little more reverb sauce and body on the main vocals. Maybe taking the vocal track you have now, and taking the original dark one, hipass around 250hz out, compress it heavy and blend it in when the vocals feel too small, or bright would be an interesting idea. Also another track, low cut from around 12k and down, add a few ms delay to the right side, and slightly different on the left side would make the vocals dance right through the mix. Everything sounds pretty dang perfect. Maybe slight more reverb in spots. The wideness of the mix is the best part of it. Everything feels very far but together. Just the vocals feel out of the music a little to much for me. Great mix Smile
*Hello 401kBC, First, thanks for leaving a comment. Also thanks for letting me know about those monitors you used to check my mix. That's a lot of work, and it gives me the info I need, to see if my mix translates. I only have 2 pairs of headphones, the regular Iphone ones and an AKG 712K. I sometimes check in my car, but that is not for detail listening.

I do worry about my stereo image, but, sigh, sometimes I just gave up, simply couldn't get it any wider. You're right, my mix could have been wider. I will try your method on my next mix and see. Sounds interesting, I hope I have enough skill to pull it off. My automation skills suck. Tbh, I don't even know what instrument to pull up or down. They all sound good to me statically Smile. Btw, most of the stuffs you mention involve some automation moves, which I avoided entirely until I figure out how to do it properly. Thanks again for the time and effort. I owe you one Smile.
this mix is awesome dood!! Sounds amazing
(18-01-2021, 10:57 PM)Stevenrruz Wrote: this mix is awesome dood!! Sounds amazing
*Thanks, Stevenrruz. Man, I'm gonna frame your comment to use as emotional support just in case I come up with bad mixes. Thanks, man. It means a lot to me.

Well, I have to confess that I wasn't too happy with the mix, so I went back and tried to see if I could improve it in some ways. I wanted the mix to be tighter, more defined. I wanted the bass synth to growl a bit....So here is what I came up with. If you happen to take a listen, maybe you'll tell me what you think compare to the last? Thanks.

.mp3    Strobe-Gone-SonicTramp-1-24-21_2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)