Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wesley Morgan "Back Room in Tulsa" TChianti Mix
(31-01-2014, 08:38 PM)TChianit Wrote:
(31-01-2014, 08:07 PM)bmullen Wrote: I think you might have gone a little too far with the vocal space. I'd like to here it with the verb you're using on the second post backed off a bit Smile

OK that's valid. I did futzt forever with that. But what about the vocal level?

Thanks Smile

TC

wow, you don't hang around! glad you are back up and running - that was fast!

vocal level? how close do you want us to perceive the vocalist relative to the band? your choice. but you do need to get the reverb communicating your vision so it doesn't contradict the signals the brain is interpreting. so, we are talking pre-delays, panning, wet vs dry, decay, amplitude (and EQ and compression sometimes!) of the reverb AND the instrument, right down to your EQ/compression and spectral balance on your individual instruments. if there's ANYTHING not right with this lot, the brain won't like it.

i monitored over my old notebook, a p3 750mHz - it's not only you who's had gremlins lately! motherboard died so i had to dig this out from the back of the cellar! anyway, using the OvationII's HD560 (i.e. all understandings of headphone issues and their highly individualistic charms...taken as read), i felt the low end on the big bass was on the excess side, making the instrument boomy and lacking definition in your presentation - it was quite muddy in other words, which has consequences on everything else because of it's energy. generally, i appreciated your levels overall instrumentally and importantly for my headphones, nothing banged my ear drums (nothing out of kilter), so your stereo balance was cooool and extremely well presented, i'd say. i think this helped me engage with the music over many, many other mixes herein.

i liked your piano especially. but because we can all find something niggling, i'd say it was difficult placing it in the stereo field. i know it came as a stereo file (yikes), which many here have decided to spread across the whole panorama(!!), but i'd have liked it being off to the side of the drums rather than in front? now, this will really mess up your stereo balance and skew it off to one side if you don't find an antidote. but it's your mix, you make the decisions and sometimes we have to make compromises for technical reasons...

catch ya laters
Dave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!