Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wesley Morgan "Back Room in Tulsa" TChianti Mix
I tried to get a very intimate vocal sound and might have over processed it. Hope not.

I just loved the vibe of the entire track. The low end bleed from the drums was a bit of a problem, but once I got that under control it was all about the vocal.

Thanks,

TC

.m4a    WESLEY MORGAN Back Room in Tuls.m4a --  (Download: 9.08 MB)

hi TC,

i felt the same about need for intimacy too. often when focusing hard and for a longish period on an instrument, perspectives can go a bit pear shaped. it's often a sensible plan to have a good night's sleep and see how it all sounds on fresh ears the next day. that's the theory!

i found the vocal too up front and detached from the band. it sounds dry, no spacial feedback signals here. maybe pull the amplitude down some, and pop a couple of reverbs on some aux's to position Wesley in the same room as the band (but gently does it...).

ciao4now
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(24-01-2014, 04:01 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: hi TC,

i felt the same about need for intimacy too. often when focusing hard and for a longish period on an instrument, perspectives can go a bit pear shaped. it's often a sensible plan to have a good night's sleep and see how it all sounds on fresh ears the next day. that's the theory!

i found the vocal too up front and detached from the band. it sounds dry, no spacial feedback signals here. maybe pull the amplitude down some, and pop a couple of reverbs on some aux's to position Wesley in the same room as the band (but gently does it...).

ciao4now

So very true. I couldn't see the instruments for the vocal, or the forest for the trees.

I will give it some extra time and follow your very good advice.

Thanks Sad

TC

(24-01-2014, 07:06 PM)TChianit Wrote:

ciao4now

So very true. I couldn't see the instruments for the vocal, or the forest for the trees.

Thanks Sad

TC

make sure you post up the revised one, yeah? Wink
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
As mentioned the vocal is very loud and makes it hard to judge the other elements in the mix.
From what I can hear I think the bas is hittin the compressor a bit too hard.
Also the loud vocal makes the solo part seem smaller than it is.

If you want a suggestion I think really makes this song shine try findin little phrases in each instrument and highlight them, not so they overwhelm whatever should be in front, voice or sologuitar, but rather they make the solo or vocal phrase more interesting. Lots o times when he dont sing thers a piano part or slide part that reflects the lyrics.

Look forward to the new version of this great song. Very very fun to mix
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(27-01-2014, 06:24 PM)Voelund Wrote: As mentioned the vocal is very loud and makes it hard to judge the other elements in the mix.
From what I can hear I think the bas is hittin the compressor a bit too hard.
Also the loud vocal makes the solo part seem smaller than it is.

If you want a suggestion I think really makes this song shine try findin little phrases in each instrument and highlight them, not so they overwhelm whatever should be in front, voice or sologuitar, but rather they make the solo or vocal phrase more interesting. Lots o times when he dont sing thers a piano part or slide part that reflects the lyrics.

Look forward to the new version of this great song. Very very fun to mix

As usual your input is invaluable to me.

But the point is mute as both my mix drive and my back-up for my mixes crashed. I did get the back-up drive back up but it is totally corrupted.

So I get to try again.

Life is just so full of surprises. We must learn to live with the technology and continue to learn.
Sad

TC
(27-01-2014, 06:08 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:
(24-01-2014, 07:06 PM)TChianit Wrote:

ciao4now

Thanks Sad

TC

make sure you post up the revised one, yeah? Wink

If you scroll to read Voe"s comments you will see the very sad and maddening news.

But as I said I will get to try again.

BTW I have new drives and am thinking of a wider range of backing things up.

Thanks again and I will post it soon. Smile

TC
(18-01-2014, 01:58 PM)TChianit Wrote: I tried to get a very intimate vocal sound and might have over processed it. Hope not.

I just loved the vibe of the entire track. The low end bleed from the drums was a bit of a problem, but once I got that under control it was all about the vocal.

Thanks,

TC

My second attempt after a complete re-build of my computer systems is also included here.

Smile

TC

.mp3    wesley Morgan Backroom in Tulsa TChianti re-do.mp3 --  (Download: 8.58 MB)

I think you might have gone a little too far with the vocal space. I'd like to here it with the verb you're using on the second post backed off a bit Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(31-01-2014, 08:07 PM)bmullen Wrote: I think you might have gone a little too far with the vocal space. I'd like to here it with the verb you're using on the second post backed off a bit Smile

OK that's valid. I did futzt forever with that. But what about the vocal level?

Thanks Smile

TC