Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Triviul feat. The Fiend - Widow
(16-01-2014, 12:55 PM)Spede Wrote: Regarding the sound and (original) dynamics of contemporary music, Pedaling Prince might be interested in listening to these two releases:

American Idiot

Brand New Eyes

Original releases of both suffered from pretty severe limiting but these "audiophile" versions are mastered much more quietly (although they still have some limiting in them). Most of the "Pop" HDTracks releases aren't like this but simply 24bit versions of the limited master (and some of the HDTracks releases might be more limited than the original retail; at least Linkin Park's sophomore album Meteora is one of those). But luckily there are few "real deals" (like these two and also the rest of Green Day's albums sold there).

Wow! Now I LIKE this site! Hoped there was some stuff there by Meat Loaf but evidently not. Sad I'd love to get my hands on the multitracks to remix from the only one of the three Bat Out of Hell albums that suffered from excessive limiting: Bat Out of Hell III.

Of course, I also like Green Day; next time I have a little money to spare to buy an album I think I'll consider getting one of those. Big Grin

Thanks for the tip!
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(13-01-2014, 04:48 AM)pauli Wrote: Looks like you went with a similar approach to mine. I think you did a very good job balancing the vocals- I found that to be a hurdle myself. leaving the vocal sample dry was an interesting choice and I think you made it work quite well.

My only comments are that there's some sort of processing/modulation on the clav that pokes out a little too much (for my taste) and the backing vocals (stay, staaaaay with me) sound out of phase to me, but that's an easy fix.

good work, john!

Agree with Pauli.
Hey john

Nice mix. I like the balance you got. The only thing i noticed after listening to it a few times is that two elements keep standing out a tiny bit too much for me. Those are the Clav and shakers.

Also something I noticed is some sort of “lack of something”, maybe it is punch, low end?? I feel like as the song progresses, your mix stays too static? sorry for not been able to be more specific, and for my crap english Smile, but you know I’m a newbie at this so I still don’t have the right terminology to describe things.

Overall I like it and i love that you keep a clean master channel!

Cheers
(25-01-2014, 01:01 AM)Cefe Wrote: The only thing i noticed after listening to it a few times is that two elements keep standing out a tiny bit too much for me. Those are the Clav and shakers.

Also something I noticed is some sort of “lack of something”, maybe it is punch, low end??

Yes. Others have commented on that. Seems I should have done more to bring out the kick drum; that might've given it a little more low end kick. Too bad I don't have the original project anymore; I might give some of these ideas a try. Sad

(25-01-2014, 01:01 AM)Cefe Wrote: sorry for not been able to be more specific, and for my crap english Smile, but you know I’m a newbie at this so I still don’t have the right terminology to describe things.

That's OK. That's what we're here for, to learn. I come from a background of mostly mixing sound for video; until I started working on these projects the only music I worked with was already mixed and ready to go. I had to learn quite a bit, through research and experimentation, before I knew the "right terminology," too. Blush

(25-01-2014, 01:01 AM)Cefe Wrote: Overall I like it and i love that you keep a clean master channel!

Thanks. I only wish more artists and engineers felt that way these days. Undecided
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
I'm curious... are you 100% opposed to processing on the master channel? I try to avoid it whenever possible, but I don't really take a dogmatic stance (I try to avoid that whenever possible, too).

In my opinion, sometimes a little EQ on the master bus can provide a smooth and natural-sounding lift in a way that EQing all the individual tracks can't do... the way I think about it, if you have to boost EQ, you're effectively using a pre-amp and introducing distortion on some level, however subliminal. So rather than introducing distortion that might limit my mastering options in the endgame over 20 tracks individually, sometimes I'll use an EQ to add clarity to the highs, or use it to tame the inevitable buildup of low mid frequencies.

I've also seen examples of people using extremely light reverb inserts on the master bus as mix glue with good results, though I prefer saturation personally.

I guess some folks are of the opinion that the sort of master bus processing I'm talking about should be saved for the mastering phase, and if I had the resources to have my music professionally mastered, I'd probably let the million dollar ears make those judgements, but for home-brew music, I like the results I get... I'm not usually going for slick, glossy productions like modern mastering is geared toward anyway.

The main question I'm asking (purely out of curiosity.. to learn and understand another artist's style and approach) is why you're opposed to it. Obviously it's a bit of a broad brushstrokes technique, so any decision you make can affect more than what you intended, but sometimes I can't find another way to get the results that I'm after without shooting myself in the foot by overprocessing tracks individually.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(04-02-2014, 05:58 AM)pauli Wrote: I'm curious... are you 100% opposed to processing on the master channel? I try to avoid it whenever possible, but I don't really take a dogmatic stance (I try to avoid that whenever possible, too).

Well... perhaps I'm a little more dogmatic about it than I actually am in practice, reason being is because of how common this kind of cluster f*BEEP* is in today's music scene:

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=3193

My main gripe really is about compression and limiting in the master buss, not so much EQ and reverb. As a general rule, I find EQ also to be unnecessary; most of what you could do with EQ in the master buss can be done much more effectively and flexibly in the individual tracks, though I am not opposed to EQ on the master if you're under a time crunch and find a quick overall EQ can get the sound you want before the deadline. Wink In other words, you're probably better off fixing the EQ at the mix stage if you have the time to experiment, but if you don't a gentle EQ fix on the master can work. As for reverb, that's actually one of those few effects that actually belongs on the master buss, particularly if you're going for a live, natural sound.

(04-02-2014, 05:58 AM)pauli Wrote: I've also seen examples of people using extremely light reverb inserts on the master bus as mix glue with good results, though I prefer saturation personally.

I actually prefer reverb over saturation. On a few of my mixes, most notably the barbershop quartet recordings by The Rounders, I actually applied the reverb at the master stage so that all four singers would be treated by the same reverb, just as they would sound standing on a stage (which was the sound I was going for Smile). So I would actually encourage the use of reverb on the master buss when appropriate, so long as its not overdone (overdoing effects is a big problem in many amateur mixes, both at the mixing and mastering stages).

(04-02-2014, 05:58 AM)pauli Wrote: I guess some folks are of the opinion that the sort of master bus processing I'm talking about should be saved for the mastering phase, and if I had the resources to have my music professionally mastered, I'd probably let the million dollar ears make those judgements, but for home-brew music, I like the results I get... I'm not usually going for slick, glossy productions like modern mastering is geared toward anyway.

Glad to hear it, because it is that "slick, glossy" sound that makes modern music sound so unnatural to begin with. As for me, I prefer to do my own mastering; I'd rather obtain the high end gear and do it myself rather than trust my work to other hands. I'm one of those "if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself" people. Big Grin

(04-02-2014, 05:58 AM)pauli Wrote: The main question I'm asking (purely out of curiosity.. to learn and understand another artist's style and approach) is why you're opposed to it. Obviously it's a bit of a broad brushstrokes technique, so any decision you make can affect more than what you intended, but sometimes I can't find another way to get the results that I'm after without shooting myself in the foot by overprocessing tracks individually.

Well mostly because with the exception of the artful use of reverb, which we've already discussed, I find that applying effects to the overall master, as you said, sometimes affects more than you meant to. I prefer to make adjustments to each track in isolation so that eac adjustment doesn't throw off other stuff I've already done on other tracks; I find this approach, while more time consuming, ultimately results in much more natural, clean sound.

There are exceptions, of course. For example, if I was given the already mixed Bat Out of Hell II, was assigned to master it and was told that the session recordings were accidentally destroyed or lost I would probably have applied a little low end boost to the overall master. Why? Because I find that Bat Out of Hell II, which otherwise sounds gorgeous (one of the best examples of pre-excessive-limiting digital sound mixing out there), does lack a little in the low end. If I was the mastering engineer and didn't have access to the individual tracks that's probably how I would've handled it. However, if I did have access to the individual tracks I probably would have only EQed the bass and kick drum to get that extra body to the bass since the rest of the mix is perfectly fine the way it is.

Reading this, you might assume I applied that EQ to my copies of Bat Out of Hell II for my own use, but I didn't. I may not necessarily agree with David Thoener and Steven Rinkoff's EQ choices regarding the bass line but it's their mix and I respect the integrity of their work; I listen to it the way they envisioned it. I'm just saying what I would have done if I had been the engineer; just because it's not quite the way I would've done it doesn't mean it's not a good mix... Tongue

So, in conclusion regarding master track effects: I'm not opposed to a little reverb when appropriate, and EQ when you need to smooth out a project quickly, but I absolutely refuse to use compression or limiting of any kind; I have yet to see the recording that was actually improved by it.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Thanks for a very thorough answer! I don't agree with you on some particulars, but in the main, I try to limit my master bus processing as well and definitely respect your vision. especially compression... although I've come to understand limiting. Some tracks have a volume "sweet spot" that I just can't quite manage without clipping unless you catch the peaks. It's a compromise for sure, but in those few genres of music that benefit from a lower dynamic range, for me it's worth it.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain your opinions in detail... that's how I learn.

Until next time!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!