Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whisper To a Scream - SpedeMIX
Hi guys. This came together fairly quickly (less than two hours). I guess it's not hard to figure out what I used as a sound reference (this song and the drum sounds fitted perfectly for that thing IMO). Big Grin I guess not everybody is gonna like this one.

.m4a    Whisper_To_a_Scream_SpedeMix.m4a --  (Download: 3.96 MB)

I would make the guitars a little less cutting and a little meatier, but that is just personal preference. Overall I thought it was a good job on the mix! Thanks for sharing!

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com
(27-11-2013, 06:08 PM)Spede Wrote: Hi guys. This came together fairly quickly (less than two hours). I guess it's not hard to figure out what I used as a sound reference (this song and the drum sounds fitted perfectly for that thing IMO). Big Grin I guess not everybody is gonna like this one.

Sounds like you're using Metallica's Death Magnetic as your reference. If so, my advice? DON'T. Seriously.

Dynamic range, measured in Db, measures the difference between the recording's loudest peak and its overall average volume; a good rule of thumb is if that measurement is in the single digits your recording is "overcooked." I ran your mix through TT DR Offline Meter and got a reading of *4*. Huh To be blunt is totally LUDICROUS. No wonder I had to turn my volume down to about HALF my usual volume just to keep it from tearing my eardrums out! Angry Geez...! Dodgy

It's hard to judge the quality of your mix with everything so mashed together, but I will say the frequency balance sounds excellent. But dude... somebody oughtta confiscate the compressor you're using in your master buss (or delete it if it's software based). Oy, my poor ears... Sad

Forgive my bluntness, but this is the very kind of compression abuse I talk about in my profile. As an aspiring audio engineer, it is one of my primary goals to prove that this kind of compression is TOTALLY unnecessary and just plain RUINS the sound of ANY music. Hell, even METALLICA'S OWN FANS lambasted them when they released Death Magnetic, I believe the first album to ever have tracks with dynamic range under 5 dB. Sad They even pointed out that the versions of their songs downloadable for use in the game Guitar Hero, which didn't have the compression treatment, sounded WAY better than the "mastered" versions on the album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Magne...production

This is also why I'm very leery of the term "mastering." I often wonder what an engineer means when they say it. To me, "mastering" is the final polish of ANY recording and my feeling is if the recording is done right in the first place there should be little to do to "master" it outside of making sure the loudest peak hits maximum level, trim off any excess and add any fade in or out. That's ALL mastering should be IMHO. Any of these "loudness" effects created with compression should be done on INDIVIDUAL TRACKS during the MIXING process NOT during "mastering."

All right. Now that I got THAT off my chest, I would LOVE to hear this exact same mix again only THIS time with NO master compression WHATSOEVER. I'm wondering what kind of mix this was before it was crushed to death... Undecided
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Definitely too loud with much side-effects as result.
(27-11-2013, 06:08 PM)Spede Wrote: Big Grin I guess not everybody is gonna like this one.

LOL this is the first time I stopped one of your mixes before it was finished.
Youre right, I dont like it, I find it much too squeezed in masterin.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order