Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angelo Boltini: 'This Town' GetOuttaHere Mix
Hi all, 
Thanks for listening. My approach was to get it sounding like the original mix, but I wasn't anywhere close  Undecided
Had trouble getting the BGV sounding big in the mix, think I had to many elements masking in the low mids.  Sad

Thanks Angelo and Mike for this awesome song.
Would like to hear your comments on how to improve on my mix. 
Cheers!

.mp3    This Town rzmixed.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

Mate, I'm liking this mix a lot. There are a few things to me I think sound a little out of place but they are strictly personal tastes.

I found with the BVs because there's such a great number of them, there's not much you need to do to make them really big. All I did was one devil-loc on all of them on the default setting to give them a bit of air and compression, and then a really extreme eq on the Sie-Q EQ boosting the highs on MAX and scooping the mids at 1k. I put on the Devil-Loc first so I could eq the high-end distortion from it after with the EQ. Otherwise, I almost always compress post eq.

Then I DeEssed the bus by A LOT so I'm hearing the air but not the eases (that's important not to compress anything but the eases), a pinch of the short verb and that's it. 

Sound toys are my favourite 3rd party plugins at the moment, I would highly recommend them.
~
Other Mixes
Hey, 

Thanks for listening.  If it is not too much of a trouble can you let me know what is out of place? so I can learn and improve. 

Yeah. Soundtoys is the BOMB! I only just started using Sie-Q after seeing Eric Valentine using it. And then Logic 10.15 decided to stop working with my waves V10. So I cant use PuigTech MEQ5 for a while.   Anyways the 5.6K on Sie-Q is real nice. 

Thanks for the advice, You are right I probably can use some saturation on the BV. 

Cheers mate!
Hello,

Yeah look I don't think there's anything wrong at all, just little resonances in the FX, but it's like I said its subjective.
One thing I would have done is make the first bv sound different from the LV, like in the original. The reason for this is so that it acts more more like a bv and less like a double. Also I like that you didn't use the dt tracks cause they aren't actually doubles.

Yeah, those plugins are nice. Big fan of Sound Toys.
~
Other Mixes
Apperciate that!!  Big Grin     There DT tracks are there somewhere, buried. hahah
Hi!

I like your approach. However, the mix is too little of the whole frequency spectrum, it is unbalanced and not enough finalized. Work on it.
(04-06-2020, 07:03 PM)mik123 Wrote: Hi!

I like your approach. However, the mix is too little of the whole frequency spectrum, it is unbalanced and not enough finalized. Work on it.
You may need to check your ears or perhaps invest in better speakers Mik123. Eggshell's mix is quite balanced and controlled, and as a pre-mastered mix sounds pretty polished to me. 

It would also pay to remember this is a forum for people wanting to learn and grow their skills. To offer such confident critiques without demonstrating competency isn't helpful.
~
Other Mixes

Hi mik123,
Thanks for taking time to listen. haha at least I've my approach right    May I asked what exactly is "too little of the whole freq spectrum"? Is it a volume thing, not rich enough in harmonic content?  too little lows,  mids  or highs. Or is my balance of the instruments and vocal out of whack? 
appreciate, any form of input  Big Grin
(05-06-2020, 04:52 AM)Quathamer Wrote:

You may need to check your ears or perhaps invest in better speakers Mik123. Eggshell's mix is quite balanced and controlled, and as a pre-mastered mix sounds pretty polished to me. 

It would also pay to remember this is a forum for people wanting to learn and grow their skills. To offer such confident critiques without demonstrating competency isn't helpful.
Thanks Quathamer! Appreciate that.
[quote pid='97142' dateline='1591351375']
Hi mik123,
Thanks for taking time to listen. haha at least I've my approach right    May I asked what exactly is "too little of the whole freq spectrum"? Is it a volume thing, not rich enough in harmonic content?  too little lows,  mids  or highs. Or is my balance of the instruments and vocal out of whack? 
appreciate, any form of input  Big Grin
[/quote]

I will try to explain! I’m neither the smartest nor the particularly good producer. I'm still learning. And I always will. For this reason, it is important that we all pay much more attention to criticism than praise. Your potential client will also criticize your work if he is not satisfied with it. And here we get to the point. The client will always compare your mix with the reference tracks. For this reason, in my opinion, it is very important to include reference tracks in the mixing process. When you do this, you quickly realize that something is wrong with your mix or not comparable to the references. You asked me what was supposed to be wrong with your mix. Honestly, I can't tell you exactly what's wrong. It's wrong. Especially if you consider the above. It is often best to start from the beginning and compare your current work with references very carefully.

Best,

mik123