Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only LUNA Late Night That Town
** EDIT Nov 29, 2023 LUNA mix **

Hey all,

After mixing Angelo's other session, I thought I would revisit this one, but on the LUNA workstation. 

WOW. What an experience. As you'll notice, this mix is FAR more dynamic and yet doesn't sacrifice on the tonal quality whatsoever.

I used the Vision API console emulation to mix this beast and only a few other plugins. By comparison, the earlier mix on Logic Pro used like 10x the plugins. 

Of course, I could do far more to make this one better (like automation, FX, etc.) but I thought this was a good start.

This is an old tread, so I hope someone comes across it. Comment if you notice anything worth mentioning!

Hello fam,

So it's pretty great that there are some new mixes/distractions to play with. Honestly was just about to go out and do some rioting. It's been so fun made a few new friends. Got a new monitor. Dropped it on the way home but oh well.

Enjoy a mix! It's fresh. Nothing really fancy, it's just a quick one. May revisit it, it's a really bloody nice recording. Especially the strings. LOVE live strings.

.mp3    AngeloBoltini_ThisTownM1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.76 MB)

.mp3    LUNA_AngeloBoltini_ThisTown_Full - MAIN-1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Hey fam, I'm really loving the strings in this song, so I thought I would upload a bounce of just the strings buss. It was really well recorded, so I was able to get lots of air and warmth from the strings. They deserve to have their own thing I think.

.mp3    StringsBuss_AngeloBoltini_ThisTownM1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.96 MB)

~
Other Mixes
Hey,
Nice warm and vibey mix. I like the tasteful saturation on the vocal. Lets me guess Decapitator? haha.  I like this approach, think I'm gonna give it a next time. Smile .

Cheers!
Actually there's no Decapitator in the whole mix, which is a first for me. Usually, I do, but not this time.

So my vocal is really unusual in this mix. I found it a bit tricky in the sense I wanted it present, but not overwhelming, so I made my own distortion sort of.
First I put Devil-Loc on the track and then I split the track into 2 tracks. 1 is the dry track, and then I made a distorted track that I mix in. It's a bit of a process with the distortion track, but it involves:
A high pass at 150
A UAD 1176 that I've got crushing the level at 8:1. Slow attack fast release.
A UAD Neve 1073 that I have on MIC mode, and then cranked the preamp till it broke up nice.
EQ to notch out some nasties
Then I blend them back together into another UAD Neve 1073 in MIC mode but just a pass-through, no distortion. The distortion track will be mixed in about 15-20db quieter than the dry.
Then I EQed the track with the Sie-Q, compressed only a little to keep it under control, then a limiter to catch the peaks (no more than 1 or 2 db of compression).

And that's it. The rest is effects and crap.
~
Other Mixes
Wow neat! gonna steal that!!   Big Grin
(02-06-2020, 05:03 PM)eggshell Wrote: Wow neat! gonna steal that!!   Big Grin
Happy to help eggs
~
Other Mixes
Hi!

Ideas are always welcome for me. The vocals sound pretty good to me. But you have a very unbalanced mix and obviously phase problems (bass, drums).
Nice vocal!
(04-06-2020, 06:47 PM)mik123 Wrote: Hi!

Ideas are always welcome for me. The vocals sound pretty good to me. But you have a very unbalanced mix and obviously phase problems (bass, drums).
Hello mate,

Yeah, I had a little listen to your mix, and I was really surprised by what I heard. I mean, if you say my mix is unbalanced, I genuinely expected your mix to be really controlled and balanced in return. What I heard however was probably one of the most out of control mixes in this thread. Your BVs are a mess, your drums sound like they are clipping, your lead vocal is the same monotonous level through the whole song, and you haven't fixed the resonance in your bass. 

I will admit to the drums bass thing, though it's not a phase issue, I've shifted the pressure of the bass tone in the drums/bass down an octave because the sonic pressure around 100hz is ear fatiguing and exhausting over long periods of time. That could sound like phase issues to someone who isn't familiar with the technique. If it was a phase issue, the bass in especially the drums disappears - that's how you can tell it's not a phase issue.
~
Other Mixes
(05-06-2020, 04:41 AM)Quathamer Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 06:47 PM)mik123 Wrote: Hi!

Hello mate,

Yeah, I had a little listen to your mix, and I was really surprised by what I heard. I mean, if you say my mix is unbalanced, I genuinely expected your mix to be really controlled and balanced in return. What I heard however was probably one of the most out of control mixes in this thread. Your BVs are a mess, your drums sound like they are clipping, your lead vocal is the same monotonous level through the whole song, and you haven't fixed the resonance in your bass. 

I will admit to the drums bass thing, though it's not a phase issue, I've shifted the pressure of the bass tone in the drums/bass down an octave because the sonic pressure around 100hz is ear fatiguing and exhausting over long periods of time. That could sound like phase issues to someone who isn't familiar with the technique. If it was a phase issue, the bass in especially the drums disappears - that's how you can tell it's not a phase issue.

Hi!

Maybe you're right about my mix! I will understand this most easily if you provide me with a reference song of a similar genre, which in your opinion has everything that is not good in my mix and/or is good in yours.

Regarding the phase. Phase problems do not have to be extreme, as you want to show in your post, but they can also be relatively minimal, but they significantly affect the perception of the mix. The mix has no punch.
As an example, as you probably know, in this song the bass amp and bass di are not in absolute phase.

"I've shifted the pressure of the bass tone in the drums/bass down an octave because the sonic pressure around 100hz is ear fatiguing and exhausting over long periods of time. That could sound like phase issues to someone who isn't familiar with the technique."
Sad ! Thanks for this tip. Just tell me if this is your technique or you learned it elsewhere. If you learned this elsewhere I would gratefully ask you for a link!

If you have any other comments on my mix, please do not write them in other posts but in mine.

Best,
mik123