Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated - Nerve 9 - Living Lie 2.0
Hi!

Thomas, (or anyone really!) - Are you hearing the crackles mainly in the vocals, for example at the start, or somewhere else?

I have a feeling it could be because I didn't smooth off the volume automation, so the clicks are coming from that maybe....

Anyway, if anyone is able to confirm it would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I don’t find the kick muddy but many a little…resonant? Thumpy? It feels like it comes and goes though. But there are times when there’s just a frequency in the lows that seems to poke out. The bass gtr might be a little muddy but I’m not sure it bothers me that much. Do you think the kick might be fighting with the kick at all? I wonder if the kick eq was done to make it stand up against the bass guitar. I might be overthinking it but maybe the bass could be cleaned up in the lower mids or in the 150hz range (just a random guess) and then the lows of the kick could be tamed because it’d have less to compete against. I’m probably over thinking it. I think the bass works and I’d worry about losing the overall support it gives.

I’ve listened through a couple of time and don’t really notice and crackles.

I like the snare tone but I think it might occasionally get in the way of the vocal. I wouldn’t worry about it or mess with it but I’d also keep it in mind and maybe consider less bottom mic in the future.

I think the vocal level works but maybe could come up at times. I think it’s good in the verses but maybe could be ridden up a couple of dB when it has more to compete against. Thomas might be right regarding high end/air. It might be the contrast with the snare. I like how the vocal sounds and I’d be worried of it getting to harsh or sibilant. Maybe there can be a very subtle effects change between the verses and chorus to add that interest without adding highs. Or maybe not.

I like the dynamics. Especially guitar 2 in the chorus. Lol. Overall it sounds good. I wouldn’t bother working on it any more or at least going for something better. I think any issues are relatively minor and not worth messing with an already good mix. Any of my thoughts are more things to think about for the next mixes.
(28-04-2020, 09:32 PM)RoyM Wrote: I don’t find the kick muddy but many a little…resonant? Thumpy? It feels like it comes and goes though. But there are times when there’s just a frequency in the lows that seems to poke out. The bass gtr might be a little muddy but I’m not sure it bothers me that much. Do you think the kick might be fighting with the kick at all? I wonder if the kick eq was done to make it stand up against the bass guitar. I might be overthinking it but maybe the bass could be cleaned up in the lower mids or in the 150hz range (just a random guess) and then the lows of the kick could be tamed because it’d have less to compete against. I’m probably over thinking it. I think the bass works and I’d worry about losing the overall support it gives.

I’ve listened through a couple of time and don’t really notice and crackles. 

I like the snare tone but I think it might occasionally get in the way of the vocal. I wouldn’t worry about it or mess with it but I’d also keep it in mind and maybe consider less bottom mic in the future.

I think the vocal level works but maybe could come up at times. I think it’s good in the verses but maybe could be ridden up a couple of dB when it has more to compete against. Thomas might be right regarding high end/air. It might be the contrast with the snare. I like how the vocal sounds and I’d be worried of it getting to harsh or sibilant. Maybe there can be a very subtle effects change between the verses and chorus to add that interest without adding highs. Or maybe not.

I like the dynamics. Especially guitar 2 in the chorus. Lol. Overall it sounds good. I wouldn’t bother working on it any more or at least going for something better. I think any issues are relatively minor and not worth messing with an already good mix. Any of my thoughts are more things to think about for the next mixes.

Hi!

That was quick, wasn't expecting a repy so soon.

I'll have to check, but I think I did make some sort of attempt to sort out the kick and bass... I don't recall that I cut much of the lower mids of the bass though, so you are likely spot on there with your suggestion - many thanks.  I probably did boost the fundamental of the kick a little.  Previously I feel I was cutting and boosting certain things out of habit to some extent, rather than out of consideration, if that makes sense?  I am maybe being a bit too conservative in some areas now probably, so yeah, something for me to work on going forward.

Yeah, that snare and vocal clash, again.  I think you mentioned this for the mix I did just after this one too.  Seems to be becoming a feature that I need to fix.

I wasn't sure about the snare bottom mic. I do remember I did reduce the level of it a fair bit from where I initially set it.  I recall reading that a lot of people seem to ditch it altogether, more generally speaking (not speaking about this mix in particular) and just use the snare top??

I initially started this 2nd attempt to see where I went wrong with the drums on my first go.  I didn't seem to have as many problems this time round.

Looking at the final mix waveform this track keeps growing in volume until the end, which I think is why getting the vocal level right throughout is tricky.   Regarding the vocal eq I was thinking I might try out the maag eq air band to see if it does the trick.

As I mentioned earlier I feel I really have learned a huge amount from mixing this track, and from all the comments and suggestions.  I just hope I can remember some of it going forward.  I feel I am going to keep forgetting to check the snare/vocal thing....

Many thanks once again.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I wouldn't worry about the snare too much. It's not bad at all in this one. It does have quality that is consistent with the sound of a bottom snare mic but it could just be eq or the side or whatever. It's not clashing with the vocal or anything just risks stealing the focus.

Bottom snare signals vary. Between phase issues, difficulty getting one in the best spot at times, maybe not using the best mic due to lack of options, too much of the kick or whatever the quality and usefulness of the bottom snare mic can vary. Generally I like them, sometimes they hurt rather than help so you have to know when to skip them. Or decide to smash them as a pseudo room mic. They're really hit or miss. I vaguely remember having some issues with the snare in this one that don't seem to bother me in your version.

The song growing in volume doesn't seem like that big of a deal. The vocal level feels fine for the most part. I think the verses might be a little too 'exposed' and the chorus might be a little obscured. And I mean very slightly in both cases. Enough where it isn't a problem at all. If anything I could see the vocal being a hair back might be a good thing for the overall excitement in the chorus. The vocal parts and the general arrangements in various sections make it tricky and allows for more variation in the perception of the vocal level. I dunno. It's a lot of words to say don't overthink it or worry about it too much. If you do try another eq on the vocal consider having the eq maybe only on the choruses or whatever.
Hey thanks for the additional tips and insight, etc.

Cheers!