Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Living Lie (1mix)
here is my first attempt, not perfect but that's as far as I got it right now.. hope I did some justice to the arrangement. Really emotional performance.. I do like the song.. especially the pre chorous section Smile

.mp3    Never9_1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.56 MB)

.mp3    Never9_2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.56 MB)

Hi Shul - thanks for mixing our track - enjoyed my listen to it. Here are the notes I took while listening:

Lead vocal sounds great - should be the star. Perhaps verse guitar a little loud in balance? Minor point. I was missing some width on the verse guitar at first (the reference mix is mine), but once the wide chorus hit I thought it was a cool decision on your part to add impact at the chorus.

Looks like you layered in the bridge guitar during the chorus - very creative ! I liked it and I am also the guitar player, so extra props ! One thought I had was arrangement wise - if you left that out of chorus 1 and brought it in for chorus 2, you would achieve additional build payoff. Food for thought. Loved it though ! I think you achieved contrast between the sections. In my reference mix I dropped the drums out to just the room mic for the same reason - when it comes back in full force, it sounds great.

The opportunities for improvement - if you were mixing for me, I would start with the bass guitar. I felt it was a bit boomy/honky in terms of it's tone and had some contention with the guitars at times (lower-mid build up). Some eq stuff I think.

When the middle lead guitar comes in, it felt pushed back for probably a couple of reasons. It could be level (I think the rhythm guitars could be automated down a bit) but there is also a bigger reverb on it that pushes it back in the mix as well. I like delays and such on the guitars, so perhaps a delay choice or something and a little less reverb? Multiple ways to address this one, and I realize it's subjective.

A few more automation points, delay ear candy on vocals etc would be great to consider as well.

Anyhow, thanks again for mixing our track and sharing ! I hope these observations help.

Thomas
I appreciate your time and all valid points. I agree there is a build up in the low and low mids.. I over did the master eq .. I shall find a time to tweak that a lil.

Also that reference mix of yours is really a good mix! you managed to make the chorus exciting and there is a lot of energy on it good job!
Thanks Shul - I did my mix over a long period of time Smile
Hi

Great job. It sounds awesome! By far the best I've heard!
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow