Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living Lie
Living Lie

For the Heavy Guitars used Bias Amp the default clean did seem to smooth those guitars out a little - they did sound pretty awful and slapped on Quadrafuzz in Cubase - tape setting and cranked it a little just for good measure

.mp3    Living Lie.mp3 --  (Download: 11.6 MB)

Hi - thanks for mixing our track.

I have a few observations for you after I listened through. The main one would be that the drums feel like they dominate the mix. The hi-hat level seems to be the one that pokes out for me the most, but the kick as well (may be more sub frequencies than level though). Are the drum tracks in phase with each other? I think I am hearing a drum track slightly offset from the others - like a bit of a flam.

Lead vocal sounds good to me - like the reverb choice.

Like the verse treatment of guitar guitars. I see you chose some panning of it at times - cool.

Balance between the bass guitar and chorus guitars - It feels like the bass has too much lower mids - if the chorus guitar level comes up, you could pull some lower mids out of the bass. It's hard to comment on the chorus guitar treatment due to their low level - they sound a bit muddy/muffled to me.

Solo guitar could use some delay or other widening/depth treatment - feels dry as contrasted to the lead vocal.

Background vocal panning choices seem good - their relative level to the lead vocal seems high - they become the featured element. I think some reverb and/or lowering in level would push them back in the mix.

Thanks again for mixing our song - thanks for sharing - hope this helps

Thomas

Thanks for your Comments. I do take the point on the drums especially at the beginning - did not automate this mix except for the odd panning on the guitars. You are right on the reverb on the guitars unusually did not put any on them and forgot to turn that first solo bit down (a lot). I think overall it sort of works when it gets going but could probably do with some subtle echoes on the vocals in places. I shall re-read your comments when I next Look at the song - see if I can tweak and automate and see what happens. I did sneak a happy-clappy sample in throughout a bit subliminal - that also needs some volume automation.

Thanks
something odd about your mix.. sounds like phase issues for some reason.