Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I miss the Seattle days
I found this very enjoyable, and pretty straight forward. Maybe I think that I've placed the vocal a bit too far back, but ... I guess that's a matter of taste.

Tips, trick and comments are much obliged

Edit: In v2 I've tried to bring the vocal further forward and added a little H-delay. Also I've tried to address bass mudiness by applying more extensive cuts. Then I've be looking a bit at guitar balance, and I've rectified a tom gate and changed snare verb.

.mp3    Candlebox - Surrendering - v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.46 MB)

.mp3    Candlebox - Surrendering.mp3 --  (Download: 8.46 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Hello there
I too believe the vocals can come forward a bit more.. funny, my mix sounded too bright for you.. now yours sounds too muddy for me Lol.. maybe we should find an in between point here.
I think there is very lil clarity on the kick. cutting off some 300 hz on the kick would help bring some clarity on it.
Snare sounds fat and full.. I'd just use a bright reverb to go with it to compensate for all that full ness.. sometimes too full makes the clarity on things push back.

other than that the balances are good! .. just that left guitar that is quite louder than the right one.
Are you in Seattle, Krabbe?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(12-03-2020, 06:34 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Are you in Seattle, Krabbe?

Absolutely not. What I mean is, I miss the 90's Wink

#nosubnoshow
(12-03-2020, 06:16 PM)Shul Wrote: Hello there
I too believe the vocals can come forward a bit more.. funny, my mix sounded too bright for you.. now yours sounds too muddy for me Lol.. maybe we should find an in between point here.
I think there is very lil clarity on the kick. cutting off some 300 hz on the kick would help bring some clarity on it.
Snare sounds fat and full.. I'd just use a bright reverb to go with it to compensate for all that full ness.. sometimes too full makes the clarity on things push back.

other than that the balances are good! .. just that left guitar that is quite louder than the right one.
Thanks for comments. It's much appreciated.

I like this kind of music to bit a bit gritty. Lots of music today has to be ...well, basically sub and HF ... no, what I mean is that today's trend is that music production should be as polished as possible and that's fine. However, I do believe that a song like this should be a little dirtier; it's rock N' roll! Wink

In general I do cut very conservatively. I have been cutting the kick at around 300, but maybe a more aggressive cutting strategy wouldn't be out of the question.

I intentionally let the snare be as it is be, because I cound't find a sufficiently diry snare verb. Instead I compensated by giving it some NY-love, hence the fullness.

The guitar balance puzzled me a little bit, so I ended up looking at meters instead of listening. I do however believe that the unbalance you're hearing is more psychological than physical, if that makes any sense. Nevertheless, if perception is that it is unbalanced, then unbalanced it is.

#nosubnoshow
I would not say your mix is muddy. I would say the bass guitar is muddying up the bottom end some. I think if you cleaned that up or made it work better with the kick that 'muddiness' would disappear. Some volume automation of the vocals might be beneficial. Otherwise there is not much wrong here. Maybe some low end roll off on the guitars would clarify them a touch and avoid the build up on top of the bass guitar.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(12-03-2020, 07:25 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I would not say your mix is muddy. I would say the bass guitar is muddying up the bottom end some. I think if you cleaned that up or made it work better with the kick that 'muddiness' would disappear. Some volume automation of the vocals might be beneficial. Otherwise there is not much wrong here. Maybe some low end roll off on the guitars would clarify them a touch and avoid the build up on top of the bass guitar.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate that.

I totally agree with you about the bass.

About the guitars, the conservative use of HPF is intentional, 'cause I wanted some low end body on them as well as a dirtier mix in general.

#nosubnoshow