Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bleed still kills me
I accidently deleted my original post ... yeah, I'm a dork.
However, I've tried to fix bleed by cutting here and there, and I played a little with the stereo image. I'm not sure about the final result, but I guess that's where I landed.
Thoughts and comments are very welcome

Mixed on an ancient version of Cubase and with an worn out pair of HD25's

Edit: I've dried up the vocal a bit and pulled it further back to reduce bleed effect.

.mp3    Kat Wright - By My Side NEW.mp3 --  (Download: 5.35 MB)

.mp3    Kat Wright - By My Side.mp3 --  (Download: 5.35 MB)

.mp3    Kat Wright - By My Side - Less Vox FX.mp3 --  (Download: 5.35 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Listening to your second take, it seems the type of effect you placed on her voice makes the bleed more apparent. Of course this is coming from mixers fully aware of the issues at hand.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi!

Not sure there is any such thing as a worn out pair of HD25s? - you can actually replace all the parts individually and they are pretty tough anyway. My pair are going strong after probably nearly 20 years I would guess. Just replaced the pads. I find they have a bit of a narrow stereo width, but are pretty good otherwise. I don't really like attempting to mix on headphones, but find the hd25s have a better chance of translating than others I own. Anyway - I thought it might be fun to listen to your mix on my old pair of hd25s Smile.

Ok, 2nd mix certainly sounds louder, but yeah I agree with MitC regarding the bleed on the vocal mic. The issue is that the vocal mic pretty much picks up everything in the room, so for me you have to be really quite careful how you treat it, and listen out as to how the changes affect the whole ensemble. If you add delay and other effects to the vocal, you are also adding delay to certainly the snare drum and I think the horns too that are also quite well picked up by the vocal mic. This has the effect of making the whole mix a bit indistinct and muddy. The vocal is quite upfront in this mix too, which means you will be getting more of that snare, etc bleed too in the mix, which is all being sent to the delay...

I certainly would like to hear this without the vocal delay, for me it would improve the mix a lot I think. Worth giving it a go anyway.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Thanks for listening and comments. Much obliged

#nosubnoshow
(10-03-2020, 02:27 PM)Krabbe Wrote: Thanks for listening and comments. Much obliged

I love humming the kick drum.
TongueTongueTongueTongue
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(12-03-2020, 04:25 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 02:27 PM)Krabbe Wrote: Thanks for listening and comments. Much obliged

I love humming the kick drum.
TongueTongueTongueTongue

It's all I ever hum TongueTongueTongue

#nosubnoshow
leftside is heave on the instrumentation after a while my ear feels funny. other than that your mix is very mellow and smooth. I like it.
(13-03-2020, 01:33 AM)Shul Wrote: leftside is heave on the instrumentation after a while my ear feels funny. other than that your mix is very mellow and smooth. I like it.

Thanks for the comments.

It is a bit instrument heavy on the left side. Basically I tried to make the stereo image as if you were looking at the band perform on a scene with horns and guitar at stage right and piano and hammond at stage left.

#nosubnoshow
While the dynamics are pretty squashed, I am liking your second mix of this. Good character throughout. I may have put the horns more on the center or right side to balance the sound field some, but regardless, the sounds are good considering the limitations presented with the raw tracks. Nicely done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(13-03-2020, 01:59 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: While the dynamics are pretty squashed, I am liking your second mix of this. Good character throughout. I may have put the horns more on the center or right side to balance the sound field some, but regardless, the sounds are good considering the limitations presented with the raw tracks. Nicely done.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

First off, yeah, dynamics kinda died during my final processing.

About the stereo image, I kinda had it as a ... dogma, I guess, to do a live-kinda-feel. Balancewise it do however create some issues.

#nosubnoshow