Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund - beatlesmix by Olli H
Hi,

I think it is always a good indicator that you have a strong song in front of you, if there are so many different, yet good mixes.

What I like about this mix is the panning. Because it is nowhere near realism but it still feels like one performance (which I guess it not even is, though I might be wrong). Cowbell levels are always up to discussion, though Wink

Cheers
Artbass
Thanks for listening

(08-11-2013, 10:04 AM)Artbass Wrote: What I like about this mix is the panning. Because it is nowhere near realism but it still feels like one performance (which I guess it not even is, though I might be wrong).

Interesting point. I haven't never thought about that. And it applies almost to any music made in 60's: stereo mix is not "realistic" but the feel of performance is great. And at the same time in many modern mixes the mix may be "realistic" but the perfomance doesn't feel real.

In this case drums were samples. Maybe the mono mix of drums masks their real nature. I also blurred them to make them sound even more as one instrument instead of many separate instruments.

(08-11-2013, 10:04 AM)Artbass Wrote: Cowbell levels are always up to discussion, though Wink

And I didn't even dare to go to the similar volume and brightness levels that CCR uses in their cowbell tracks ... Smile

Im flattered you could even get the thought this is a band performance. Its only me :d
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Olli your arsthetic and philosophic thoughts reflect in your mixes.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(08-11-2013, 12:25 PM)Voelund Wrote: Olli your arsthetic and philosophic thoughts reflect in your mixes.

Isn't it funny coincidence: my main subject in university was western philosophy. And primal rock'n'roll music is and has been always to me the area where I prefer to feel and not to rationalize things - at least I thought so. Smile

Zappa said: do you know what you are ? You are what you is. Big Grin
Great vintage sound!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Sounds great i like it Wink !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

So I got a chance to listen to it in my mixin environment. Had a listen on the PA and it sounded great :-)
The only thing I dont like is the piano sound, I think I should´ve used an upright piano instead, maybe the one in our livin room, and that certainly isnt your fault.
Is it your valhalla modulation plug on the organ ? whatever it is - good choice.
Great mix, and even though the bas and drums doesnt live in middle it has punch and power.

Well done.
Both wurlizer and hammond have basic stereo tremolo added to them. I suppose, that tremolo also belongs modulation.

Although in the mix bass is in extreme left and kick is in extreme right, in the master channel I have "mono-maker" that tries to make everything under 100 hz mono. So the very low end is still somewhat mono.

So should I say that I cheated a little bit. Smile The listening experience with headphones is much more balanced, but it still feels as retro-stereo.