Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund - beatlesmix by Olli H
This song has been playing in my head. It has asked me to do real retro retro sound. (My first version was quite modern sounding)

So here's my beatlesmix. No highs, no lows. Drums are just one mono instrument in right, bass left, cowbell loud and proud...

This mix was very fun to do. It was quite challenging to make it sound listenable and balanced in headphones, when drums were totally right and bass opposite.

While I was listening beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin, ccr as a reference, I was just amazed how good the Sound. I understand that they don't fulfill any modern clinical standards, but they just have some kind of magical frequency balances between instruments that cannot be done as such, if you "must" use full spectrum from 30 to 20000 hz. (Well, no big deal, I don't hear anything above 14 K).

So, please Voelund, next night I want to sleep in peace without you singing constantly to my ears "Hey, gather around for a story..."

EDIT: THis first mix is missing piano and hammond by accident. Corrected version added to later post

.mp3    Voelund-beatlesmix-olli-h-2013-11-07.mp3 --  (Download: 7.25 MB)

Very excited to hear your mix when I get to my mixin environment Big Grin
Funny you got the idea of mixin drums to one side too. I had a n idea, and tried out, mixin drums left, bas right, but bas couldnt compete, so i settled for drums left, bas center in my old mix: https://soundcloud.com/voelund/comfort-lives-in-believe
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
And I promise I will stop singin that one and start singin "the time was 2010" instead Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(07-11-2013, 04:20 PM)Voelund Wrote: And I promise I will stop singin that one and start singin "the time was 2010" instead Big Grin

Outch! In that case I must get the multitracks so that I could butcher it...
I like your mix very very much. Cant tell you how inspiring and thrilling it is to hear all these versions of that little song.
I think your retro treatment suits it well.
Savin the maraccas shaker stuff introduction for 2nd verse is a great idea.
Mixed that way it reminds me a little of a Stones song I cant think of the name for, but it has a pretty loud piano part and thats my only kinda complaint, it isnt really as it is your mix, so lets call it a suggestion. The piano and würlitzer could be little louder, the bas could have little more body, it cuts fine through on my small speakers, and if bas is given bigger role drums should follow. Talkin small changes like 1 dB, talkin 100 hz (McCartney sound) on bas
I really like your mix, but of course your dinner guest is known to do wonders in a studio Big Grin
Thanks for the listen and smile Olli.

For the other song its more appropiate if you ask Mike. I´ll be glad to share it.
Oh damn, in the last tests I had muted the piano and hammond, and I forget to open them. Piano was crucial for this mix as the piano and the bass in the left were the opposite balance for the drums in the right. Corrected version coming soon...
Here's the mix with piano and hammond.
Funny how one can become so deaf to one's own mixes. I didn't hear anymore that important instruments were missing! Smile

.mp3    Voelund-beatlesmix-olli-h-2013-11-07b.mp3 --  (Download: 7.25 MB)

Big Grin
I think youre wrong, I think you heard them in your head.
happen to me all the time
incredible, Olli!!!! I love the sound you achieved here!!!
mixing since April 2013
Gonna listen to it later, but it sounded great, even without the pianos !
Preparin for bein away giggin next days, but I´ll be back Big Grin