Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund - beatlesmix by Olli H
(12-11-2013, 11:29 AM)Olli H Wrote: So should I say that I cheated a little bit. Smile The listening experience with headphones is much more balanced, but it still feels as retro-stereo.

It is not cheating if you use the tools you have at your disposal. As long as the result is as intended there is nothing to worry about.
(07-11-2013, 08:12 PM)Olli H Wrote: Funny how one can become so deaf to one's own mixes. I didn't hear anymore that important instruments were missing!

Very true!Thats why breaks are your best friend.Tongue

I like the feeling of your mix.
Is like i was there and hear them live in a stadium.
More darker for my taste, but thats me!

Nice mix.
thanks
(07-11-2013, 03:23 PM)Olli H Wrote: This song has been playing in my head. It has asked me to do real retro retro sound. (My first version was quite modern sounding)

So here's my beatlesmix. No highs, no lows. Drums are just one mono instrument in right, bass left, cowbell loud and proud...

This mix was very fun to do. It was quite challenging to make it sound listenable and balanced in headphones, when drums were totally right and bass opposite.

While I was listening beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin, ccr as a reference, I was just amazed how good the Sound. I understand that they don't fulfill any modern clinical standards, but they just have some kind of magical frequency balances between instruments that cannot be done as such, if you "must" use full spectrum from 30 to 20000 hz. (Well, no big deal, I don't hear anything above 14 K).

So, please Voelund, next night I want to sleep in peace without you singing constantly to my ears "Hey, gather around for a story..."

EDIT: THis first mix is missing piano and hammond by accident. Corrected version added to later post

These comments are based on the aforementioned "corrected version." Wink

Interesting. Voleund's own mix of this song ALSO kept the drums to one side, left in his mix's case. I told him I found that distracting, that I expect drums to be in center the way a drummer is usually in center behind a band.

Strangely, though, somehow you make the "drum on one side" thing WORK here. Not sure why. Maybe it's because your drums are a little more understated so they don't draw attention to themselves. But it work here, it really does. Smile

As a matter of fact, I loved this "retro" feel, like an old Beatles mix as you describe it. It also reminds me of some of the unique stereo effects I've heard in many old recordings, including some old favorites of mine by Roy Orbison. It's an odd approach by today's standards but it does have a nice, nostalgic feel I must say. Cool

The only thing wrong with it is I think the vocals are WAY too low; I'd say bring them up 3-5 dB.

Other than that, a unique and thoroughly enjoyable mix. Tongue
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(08-11-2013, 11:36 AM)Olli H Wrote: In this case drums were samples. Maybe the mono mix of drums masks their real nature. I also blurred them to make them sound even more as one instrument instead of many separate instruments.

Ah. I suspect that "blurring" was part of the reason they worked better pushed to one side than they did in Voelund's mix; "blurred" a little they didn't sound quite so unnaturally isolated over on the right. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince