Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LONG WAY HOME (one take and that's it)
(26-10-2019, 01:34 AM)oeltingbeats Wrote: As roy mentions im also left with the feeling of wanting a little more mate, but otherwise its actually a really nice mix. calm and "quiet"
I especially love your backing vocals they sound full though and supporting good job with your mindset in mente really good

Thanks for the input
(26-10-2019, 02:36 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:
(26-10-2019, 01:40 AM)Shul Wrote:
(25-10-2019, 09:48 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It feels pretty good and has a lot of energy. I have to admit I'm not sure if it's a better mix now than if 'errors' or at least, 'inconstancies' were addressed. Especially in a song where there's some noteworthy variance in the punches. I feel like there's some expectation of credit for acting within a set of limitations, and sure, in those limitations, you've done an adequate job. That said, I want more. I'm not even sure there's more but there has been a lower bar of expectations presented and as such, I can only be left with assuming and wanting more.

Well I suppose when you think "if anything comes up I'll just fix it at the end" you end up mixing something in a lazy way knowing that you can use as much times as you can to find or fix things. This way without saving keeps me on my toes as I will not have more time to detail the mix later and therefore I have to find a decent sound right away.

Hearing it with fresh ear I can share your thoughts. It needs more Lol but I would have to remix everything again xD.
Maybe. I don't know if I'd say "if anything comes up I'll just fix it at the end" is lazy. If anything t seems like more work.I will agree that diving in and mixing a song straight through is a good strategy for a lot of songs. I've always held that you should focus on what's inspiring as opposed to what needs 'fixing'. You'll focus your creative energy on the important bits that way. And this is a song where one can do that because there's no real issues with the track that'd create a roadblock that would need to be addressed. Some songs have too many sonic issues and you just have to fix things to make things listenable. Any technique that keeps you on your toes and focused is a valid one. That said, there's a point when you've done everything you can to a song and then it can't hurt to save it and start fixing and take it to another level. Plus, fixing things is as important craft to learn as anything else. I kinda like when some multitracks come up that require a lot of fixing. I've learned more then than on really clean, well recorded tracks. Though I tend to be mister over-save and mindlessly hit command-s after almost any change.

It's also funny (just to me) because most of my career in audio was in a studio with no automation or recall ability and everything was analog so I never really could do recalls. Even though I can nowadays, if I don't like a mix I still start from scratch. So I do understand where you're coming from. It's like Chris Lord Alge who does automation in one long pass. Let the mix and the moment inspire.

All valid points Roy. I've also learned more from bad songs than from well recorded songs.
Hey Shul how’s it going?
Interesting test, though we know there will almost always be revisions, but I have been trying speed mix so I get it. I’m not sure quantity or constantly making changes helps more though?

As for the mix sounds. Feels well balanced and judged, but fine tuning is just part of the game how far you go depends on how far in the rabbit hole you want to go.
Nice job!
(26-10-2019, 04:17 PM)jerze Wrote: Hey Shul how’s it going?
Interesting test, though we know there will almost always be revisions, but I have been trying speed mix so I get it. I’m not sure quantity or constantly making changes helps more though?

As for the mix sounds. Feels well balanced and judged, but fine tuning is just part of the game how far you go depends on how far in the rabbit hole you want to go.
Nice job!

Thanks. Input much appreciated Smile
Very Nice Mix Shul i luv the overall mood of your mix
Mr. Loud