Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Tyo: 'Long Way Home'
Here is Version 1

All feedback welcome and will be returned .

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Long Way Home 1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.68 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey mate,

Yeah good 1st version. There's plenty of space, nice soundscape, good natural tones in your foundation.
The vocals are a bit of a challenge though. You've certainly had the right idea about prioritising the presense in your vocals and lead guitar, but unfortunately the vocals and the lead guitar come through as probably too harsh to be enjoyable. This can happen if you have dull monitors or you've been mixing the same song for too long and your ears get tired. Have a break and re-listen to the track and what are your thoughts?
Fixing the issue would be easy enough. You've got the right compression on, so its not a compression problem. You just need to dial back the "telephone" frequencies a bit. You'll find them between 1k and 4k. Now, once you eq those out, you may need to rebalance the mix a little, but at least the vocals and guitar won't be as harsh.

Hope this helps. It's sounding good!
~
Other Mixes
Another great mix, Don. For me, capturing and enhancing the emotional context of this performance is vital and you've done a great job of that. Your tone and balances are excellent and your vocals very powerful. I could say the first guitar may be a touch hot on certain phrases but that is a minor issue.

Again, nicely presented.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(15-10-2019, 12:51 PM)Quathamer Wrote: Hey mate,

Yeah good 1st version. There's plenty of space, nice soundscape, good natural tones in your foundation.
The vocals are a bit of a challenge though. You've certainly had the right idea about prioritising the presense in your vocals and lead guitar, but unfortunately the vocals and the lead guitar come through as probably too harsh to be enjoyable. This can happen if you have dull monitors or you've been mixing the same song for too long and your ears get tired. Have a break and re-listen to the track and what are your thoughts?
Fixing the issue would be easy enough. You've got the right compression on, so its not a compression problem. You just need to dial back the "telephone" frequencies a bit. You'll find them between 1k and 4k. Now, once you eq those out, you may need to rebalance the mix a little, but at least the vocals and guitar won't be as harsh.

Hope this helps. It's sounding good!
Thanks For having a listen
I Mixed this at night time on Hd600 Headphones listening back on NS10's I agree 100% with your feedback , I love to mix but don't mix much lately as I Know the fatigue is caused by playing at loud live gigs on the week ends and the tinnitus kicks in.
Version 2 coming soon .
Cheers Big Grin

(15-10-2019, 02:45 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Another great mix, Don. For me, capturing and enhancing the emotional context of this performance is vital and you've done a great job of that. Your tone and balances are excellent and your vocals very powerful. I could say the first guitar may be a touch hot on certain phrases but that is a minor issue.

Again, nicely presented.
Hi MITC,
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.
You Have good ears ,I will adjust the levels of first guitar in the next version.

Cheers Big Grin