Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Signs - voelund Now with a listenin test you should participate in :-)
Very precise answer Alan, thx !
Im not that kind of religious, but theres a bible quote saying: you see the splinter in your brothers eye, but you dont see the beam in your own. Sorry if my english isnt that good. In danish its: du ser splinten i din broders øje, bjælken i dit eget ser du ej. When I google translate that it says: you see the speck in your brother's eye, log in your own do you not. Hope you get the picture.
What I mean is I have commented on other peoples masterin, and how it destroy a good mix tryin to be a master engineer themselfes, and here I went and did it myself. What happen here I think is I destroy my mixin in masterin usin a multiband comp (yah I know I said I didnt know how to use it, and I dont, but I want to learn, and this shows I did an awful job didnt I Big Grin )
I will do a remake, this is one long mixin proces but Im not givin up on it. And I may even experiment further with that multiband comp - yah.
Thx for the listen.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Confused I realise its the masterin creatin more problems than produce goodies, due to my abuse of a multibandcomp. Especially the Ab (104Hz) are boomy.
I substituded the multi with an ordinary comp and suddenly it sounds to me like I dont have to mix it again.

Again I leave you with 2 options, 1 with, 1 without. Probably easier to hear the difrences now ...
Which do you prefer ?

.mp3    Signs 06b1a-lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.31 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Version 2

.mp3    Signs 06b2a - lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.33 MB)

this is a very creative approach to mixing the song. you've used very broad brush strokes altering the arrangement, which takes a lot of brass, and I feel like you've had some success with it!

also, it seems like you've used all 3 tracking options for the bass guitar, whereas I was only able to make the DI and the second amped cabinet work for me. the DI track is quite prominent in the intro, very cool and crunchy. did you do any additional tracking of your own, or is it just skilled editing that's creating all those parts I don't remember hearing when I mixed this?

I think this is great and a very creative and individual approach to mixing this track. it's got that sound I've come to notice in mixes of yours that I've heard Smile which deserves congratulations by itself. My only suggestion is that my personal taste is telling me the song would do well with more dynamic contrast between the verses and choruses.

great work!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thank you for the detailed feedback and kind words !
For your question I dont remember adding parts to it. I moved some things, I usually does Big Grin
I will look into the session and see if I can give a more precise answer. I think I played around with the phase of the bas tracks a lot. For the guitars there were lots o multin and editin.
I am glad you like my mixes. First of all its fun. But gettin feedback like yours makes it satisfyin too.
Thank you
were you multing between artificially amp'd DI vs. the mic'd amps? I tried crossfading in and out between to two to get a balance, but I wasn't getting the results I was looking for, so I ultimately just used the DI versions with my own amp preferences :|
So I got int o my sudio and can anser your question.
I used the bas amp 2 and DI, phasenudging the DI ith .45 in airindos phasenudge plugin

See picture 15
Eq´d it, left is DI right is AMP, drove it through a couple o compressors on bus channel, 1176 emulation, Fairchild emulation and a Logic liiter. The one orkin hardest the 1176 takin som 5-7dB, rest just touchin it.

See picture 16
A lot o replacin notes, movin them in time and editin in general on bas

So I used the 2 tracks as they were, ditched AMP2 but changed the sound a lot, that phase movin e is a real strong tool ...

I remember I moved the piano and ditched some things, introducing them later in the arrangement to make interest.

Hope this answers your question

Thumbnail(s)

thanks! food for thought...

Hello Voelund,

I have two totally separate thoughts on this mix. First, I very much like the totally different approach you took with the song--almost sounds like a completely different one, by a different group, in a different genre. The vocal effect, while quite heavy, is nonetheless very fitting for the sound you've created. So, as to originality and going for something different, you win! (Didn't you hear, we're having a contest? lol)

With that said, I think the overall mix is a little too bassy and warm/dull in tone. Some people mentioned the guitar being too loud in the chorus, but frankly, I think they are perfect and perhaps it is just because they contrast the rest of the mix significantly. However, that contrast doesn't stand out to my ears as a negative; in many ways it almost makes it seem as if you intentionally dulled down the mix overall but still create great separation.

If I were to select any song(s) by a well known, professional engineer to use as an example of the "dullness," it would probably be Flood, who mixed many a U2 song in the day. The Achtung Baby album comes to mind (check out the song "Lemon"; I'm sure you can find it on Spotify). His mixes were always way quieter and warmer than anything else commercial out there, yet they still were mixed appropriately, if that makes any sense. In the case of your mix, I think the warmth is a bit much, with the bass being a bit too heavy in that regard as well.

I'd say a pretty good job, but could use some overall tweaking. Definitely kick ass on going for the "different" thing.

grizzy

PS: On a completely separate note, I saw a song in the list of downloads by none other than a "Voelund." Is that you?!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Last thing first. Yes, same name same man.
Your reflections on my rather timeconsumin and exhaustin mix of this one show it wasnt all that wasted time and energy. Im afraid the way I hear things are little diffrent from most, and that reflects in my lvls and mixes. I love bas. And the medium we mix into doesnt have the limit as in the old days where too much bas makes the needle jump on the record Big Grin
I read Sting used to turn down treble and bas up on his parents radio as a kid.
Kinda same thing with me. For the editin and move around it just were too boring mixin the same chorus and verses so I tried some movin things around and it made more sense to me. Talkin bout dull mixes many Mark Knopfler songs are guite dull soundin too, and I listened his privateering album heavily when mixin this one.
As you noticed I called it a mixin contest. My bad. More like a 2 versions, which do you prefer. My bad enhlish bein the cause of that and im sorry. The use of a plugin from airwindows called channel, on each channel, to emulate the sound of high sung and expensive analouge mixin desks like Neve or API were the experiment. I admit I cant hear the difrence myself as no others have mentioned so I stopped usin the plugin that way. No answer can also be an answer. ...

I will give listenin the U2 song a go when I get the chance.
Thank you for the comments and the suggestions. You may want to listen to Japan song too ? I think that is a better mix, and better tracked Big Grin