Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Signs - voelund Now with a listenin test you should participate in :-)
Had a real hard time makin this - and the saying "you never really finish a mix, you just give up on it" comes to mind Dodgy

Anyway, I like it better than what i started out with.

Comments, suggestions and opinions are welcome as always, as long as you dont tell me to change somthin.

Nah, I guess I just have heard it a time too many and leave up to you to give advise for a fresh remake, when my ears have gotten back to normal, whatever that is Big Grin

Thx if you listen !

OBS: further down this page is a little test with 2 slightly diffrently treated versions of an alternative mix, with some changes you suggested. One treated with the effect I want to ask if you like or not, the other without. I am very interested in hearin your opinion on this !

.mp3    Signs 06a.mp3 --  (Download: 8.82 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
The vocal could come up a touch maybe in the upper mids especially in the chorus when the electric is playing Wink !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thank you Don. I were very careful not to make it too loud. Too careful it seems Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Some nice stuff going on.i think the bass is a bit much .
Maybe a bit of ds on the lead vox would be better.
I like the piano sound and synth.
I think the guitars are a bit too loud in the chorus and
the vox could come up a tad.
All in all tho not a bad mix .well done
I like the point of view you've given to the song!! very different from other mixes I've heard from this song! Btw, I love the vocal treatment you've given the singer!! congrats!!
mixing since April 2013
(01-10-2013, 03:34 PM)takka360 Wrote: Some nice stuff going on.i think the bass is a bit much .
Maybe a bit of ds on the lead vox would be better.
I like the piano sound and synth.
I think the guitars are a bit too loud in the chorus and
the vox could come up a tad.
All in all tho not a bad mix .well done

Thats a darn good answer Alan
I gave the guitars a lot o juice on purpose, and can easily back them of a tad
Voice up is so easy and I´ll give the voice distortion a little massage too.
Thank you Big Grin
(01-10-2013, 06:23 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I like the point of view you've given to the song!! very different from other mixes I've heard from this song! Btw, I love the vocal treatment you've given the singer!! congrats!!

Thanks Juan. Vocal is actually (again) my beloved LXP 1´s looong hall. I love that on some mixes.
Thanks for the thumbs up Big Grin
This is actually a small test and you are hereby invited to participate :-)
I made 2 versions of this mix, one with the effect i want to ask whether you like or not, the other without. The effect made my master 1 dB louder, so for comparison I turned the master on the untreated one 1Db up when mastering, so its not loudness we compare.

I made another version implyin your suggestions, turned the guitar down 0,3 dB overall, 0,6 dB more in verses and vocal a tad up. Bass got the 2 dB treatment and I added a bit more distortion and thus an extra half dB, so maybe 0,5 dB turned down in all. vox also got more distortion, with a filter so it peaks around 3kilo.

This is version 1

.mp3    Signs 06b1 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.31 MB)

And this is version 2.

I made limiting a little harder in both versions, as the bass dont use so many dB now :-)

Cant wait to hear which you prefer Big Grin

.mp3    Signs 06b2 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.33 MB)

For me the bass is still to much and throwing the balance off in some way.your making it do all the work
I also think in the 2nd verse the synth sounds real nice but the guitars are
taking its glory away too much.
I also think the oh are a bit messy sounding in the chorus making it sound a bit
too full on.I just think you are on the right track it just needs a bit more control
over all and more space