Poll: Did you use compression on your drum buss for this song?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
64.71%
11 64.71%
No
35.29%
6 35.29%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drum Compression Poll - Hannes Keseberg
(13-01-2019, 04:07 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: After listening to almost every submission for this song I have a question I would like to ask of the submitters.

Did you use compression on your drum buss for this song, Yes or No?

Personally, I did not, which is uncommon in my general workflow.

Thanks.

For this song I just rather use a buss compressor with long attack, low ratio and low threshold instead of compress every single track of the drum set, expect for the room track which I compress a lot to bring in front as much ambient as I can
i did and i almost always do.

i set up the compressor so that i'm happy with the sound and then meticulously adjust make-up gain so that levels are identical. I'll then toggle on and off in the mix to see which one is better. i only go for 1-2 dB, with slow attack, and will often set a high pass filter around 60hz to let most of the kick through. Not looking to change the sound per se but improving audibility without level increase
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
I didn't use any compression on the drum bus ,But did use the Andrew Sheppes method and use parallel compression sending the drum bus to a separate track and compressing with a medium attack and fast release 3-4db and blending in to keep the dynamics and add some subtle glue !
so I guess the answer is yes .
Great idea to share thoughts by the way !
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Quote:For this song I just rather use a buss compressor with long attack, low ratio and low threshold instead of compress every single track of the drum set, expect for the room track which I compress a lot to bring in front as much ambient as I can

Interesting. Thanks for your reply.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(14-01-2019, 11:53 AM)thedon Wrote: I didn't use any compression on the drum bus ,But did use the Andrew Sheppes method and use parallel compression sending the drum bus to a separate track and compressing with a medium attack and fast release 3-4db and blending in to keep the dynamics and add some subtle glue !
so I guess the answer is yes .
Great idea to share thoughts by the way !
Cheers Big Grin

Thanks for your reply and insight into your approach.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(14-01-2019, 05:16 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: i did and i almost always do.

i set up the compressor so that i'm happy with the sound and then meticulously adjust make-up gain so that levels are identical. I'll then toggle on and off in the mix to see which one is better. i only go for 1-2 dB, with slow attack, and will often set a high pass filter around 60hz to let most of the kick through. Not looking to change the sound per se but improving audibility without level increase

Thanks for sharing this insight to your approach.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Quote:For this song I just rather use a buss compressor with long attack, low ratio and low threshold instead of compress every single track of the drum set, expect for the room track which I compress a lot to bring in front as much ambient as I can

Thanks for your reply. Interesting approach to the room. It was the only ambiance I used on the drums for this song, but without compression.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I used compression and clipper, but only with kick to move it a bit backwards.
Now that I checked, I seem to use also parallel compression with snare and kick.
With drum buss i have a limiter to catch some peaks, but not to change the sound.
(14-01-2019, 05:12 PM)Olli H Wrote: I used compression and clipper, but only with kick to move it a bit backwards.
Now that I checked, I seem to use also parallel compression with snare and kick.
With drum buss i have a limiter to catch some peaks, but not to change the sound.

OK. Thanks for your input. The poll is revealing, I think. Did you participate?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(14-01-2019, 05:29 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: OK. Thanks for your input. The poll is revealing, I think. Did you participate?

I didn't notice it, but now that you mentioned it, I voted.