Poll: Did you use compression on your drum buss for this song?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
64.71%
11 64.71%
No
35.29%
6 35.29%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drum Compression Poll - Hannes Keseberg
After listening to almost every submission for this song I have a question I would like to ask of the submitters.

Did you use compression on your drum buss for this song, Yes or No?

Personally, I did not, which is uncommon in my general workflow.

Thanks.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
no, i didn't. it is not necessary for this track
I always use bus compression even if 1-2dB of GR ... even if I use only tape and push it for compression... it's still basically compression, no? Wink
(13-01-2019, 05:25 PM)3ee Wrote: I always use bus compression even if 1-2dB of GR ... even if I use only tape and push it for compression... it's still basically compression, no? Wink

The question is why? Some of the tracks in this song are already compressed.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I didn’t, it didn’t need it.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(13-01-2019, 05:59 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I didn’t, it didn’t need it.

I agree with that.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I did, but I tend to use a lot of compression. Sometimes I want the tone of the compressor as opposed to trying to even out the levels. Part of it is liking the sound and part of it is just experimenting with the tracks. I don't always go for the best sound when doing these mixes. Often it's just trying new things and using these songs as a test bed.

(13-01-2019, 06:55 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I did, but I tend to use a lot of compression. Sometimes I want the tone of the compressor as opposed to trying to even out the levels. Part of it is liking the sound and part of it is just experimenting with the tracks. I don't always go for the best sound when doing these mixes. Often it's just trying new things and using these songs as a test bed.

Certainly valid. Part of my experimentation/learning is trying to decipher what the intent of the artist is and subjugating myself to that endeavor while trying to learn the best ways to respond to issues and/or problems if they exist. I'm no CLA and I do not often believe in his approach.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(13-01-2019, 05:42 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(13-01-2019, 05:25 PM)3ee Wrote: I always use bus compression even if 1-2dB of GR ... even if I use only tape and push it for compression... it's still basically compression, no? Wink

The question is why? Some of the tracks in this song are already compressed.

Well of course I did it for a reason if you were asking that! Wink

quick answer: mainly color, then for envelope shaping and a bit of glue prior to the master bus comp. I wanted the master bus to work on all the tracks and not too much on the drums.. the comp isn't doing much at all though... I also have a limiter on the drum bus that is doing much more!

(13-01-2019, 08:21 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Certainly valid. Part of my experimentation/learning is trying to decipher what the intent of the artist is and subjugating myself to that endeavor while trying to learn the best ways to respond to issues and/or problems if they exist. I'm no CLA and I do not often believe in his approach.
I agree. I tend to experiment and explore in the parameters of the genre of the song. As I went into this one (and I need to do another mix or two of it) I started off going for a more organic reggae style but the more I listened to the vocals the more I wanted it to go in a more 'pop' direction and wanted things to be a bit more polished.