Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Hannes Keseberg - YouKnowBetter_3ee mix2
(14-01-2019, 04:38 PM)Olli H Wrote: Sounds smooth and balanced, like a record.

Maybe something with snare in the chorus. It’s sort of near and far at the same time. Or it feels a bit like street bumb. And now that I listen my version I seem to have the same problem.

I guess I need to mult the snare and treat it differently from the rim-stick ... things are maybe tricky because the kick hits at the same time as the snare also .. that's maybe why the "street bump"? Big Grin
Hi 3ee! Here are the main issues that occurred to me:
  • Nice laid-back vibe overall, but it doesn't demand the listener's attention as much as I'd expect of a single. Whether you want to address that with arrangement or automation is up to you.
  • Generally very solid balancing, and tasteful effects. Like the solo-guitar delay particularly.
  • The small-speaker bass translation could be better.
  • The rhythm guitar and lead vox are both quite ambient, ie. the reverb feels a bit too obvious. Is it too bright?
  • Cymbal crashes a bit harsh in the midrange. From the middle-section onwards, I felt they conflicted a bit with the the lead vocal
  • The rising guitar line leading into the outro section feels a bit edgy tonally. I think it's some resonances in the 2-3kHz region.

Like that version a lot -- gets us off to a flying start! Smile Thanks for getting involved 3ee!
^ Hi Mike, many thanks for the feedback, all good points, will consider them carefully towards the next version.

-most certainly will do arrangement tweaks and automation!
-Thanks!
-I didn't mix with that in mind, we'll see if I can resolve the bass with an overdrive parallel or something, any other tips on this? (used to use Waves Rbass in the past but I ditched all Waves plugins some time back due to their complications)
-Will tweak ambiance... it does feel a bit too wet on some elements but I'm not really sure at the moment what's "wrong"
-Was hard to get a good snare sound and tame cymbals at the same time, I guess automation is the answer here.
-will tame the slide gtr resonances
(15-01-2019, 06:29 PM)3ee Wrote: ^ Hi Mike, many thanks for the feedback, all good points, will consider them carefully towards the next version.

Great -- although remember that I'm only one of three judges... Wink

Quote:-I didn't mix with that in mind, we'll see if I can resolve the bass with an overdrive parallel or something, any other tips on this? (used to use Waves Rbass in the past but I ditched all Waves plugins some time back due to their complications)

Ditto Rolleyes Parallel distortion is certainly a favourite of mine, but you might also be able to just compress the upper-spectrum frequencies and bring them up in level once they're more consistent.

Quote:-Will tweak ambiance... it does feel a bit too wet on some elements but I'm not really sure at the moment what's "wrong"

No right or wrong answers here, but referencing is the key for me.

Quote:-Was hard to get a good snare sound and tame cymbals at the same time, I guess automation is the answer here.

I seem to remember I used a dynamic EQ to boost the HF of the level peaks, while leaving the spill un-EQ'd. Or you could slip in a sneaky supplementary sample layer for that. Ah... options, options... Smile

mix2 (possibly final mix) is now up! Smile
Congrats man.....great job Smile
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Great mix! Congrats!
Great sounding mix, well deserved win. Smile
Great mix, well done and congrats on the win!
Well Done Congratulations !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts