Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
drag me down
quick mix, 30 minutes. Monitoring is broken :/ using headphones and laptop speakers

.mp3    mix1 adam buckley.mp3 --  (Download: 7.7 MB)

Here are my observations

*Overhead on the drums or the Room track for the drums is too loud.
*snare is and toms don't exist as "whole" tracks in the mix. It's like the kick is and the room mic for the drums are the only
thing supporting the mix. My guess is you either have to much rever on them or you just used the room track for the drums.
*Bass is actually good here. Don't touch that. lol
*Voice is lacking clarity. Also i'm not sure if those panning decisions where the best for the mix.

Overall you need work but this is mainly because you are using "bad headphones"? i would check an actually youtube song from
post hardcore bands to get a reference. It's not 100 there because if you are not mixing with proper gear you won't get best results.. but it's definitely gonna help you identify how a pro mix should sound on your end of the gear (bad headphones and laptop speakers)

other than that this is actually a good starting point for the amount of time you put in it. Keep it up.
Thanks for the comments! Yeah you pretty much nailed it, I cranked the rooms, hard panned as awkwardly as possible. Actually built the mix with as little snare and kick as possible, and last second decided to put a little kick in. No reverb, vocals and lead guitar had some delay. I also decided instead of rhythm guitars hard panned, put them up the middle. I’m glad the bass translated, that I was happy with. It’s frustrating without having good speakers. One pair of headphones this sounds pretty cool work in progress,, the other set I have sound like a wet cardboard box. I think next step would be bring out the vocals. I feel like they’d need work to tighten them up, maybe a couple hours. But I think others here represent this genre better