Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burial of Silence Mix
All in all, it sounds like an actual band! Probably the main thing I look for.....no matter how hi fi or lo fi it ends up.

As a fellow Reaper user, do not underestimate the power of ReaFir. I've been on a "search for the greatest eq" trip lately, and despite it's cumbersome ugliness?...freaking amazing...even up against FabFilter and DMG. A little of that bad boy goes a looooooong way. When the musical eq's aren't quite there, just slap it on and erase what you're not liking with extremely small strokes.
(01-08-2018, 09:09 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: All in all, it sounds like an actual band! Probably the main thing I look for.....no matter how hi fi or lo fi it ends up.

As a fellow Reaper user, do not underestimate the power of ReaFir. I've been on a "search for the greatest eq" trip lately, and despite it's cumbersome ugliness?...freaking amazing...even up against FabFilter and DMG. A little of that bad boy goes a looooooong way. When the musical eq's aren't quite there, just slap it on and erase what you're not liking with extremely small strokes.

i tried air boosting (wide bell at 16k, +~4db) with fabfilter in v4. i think it was the right call- or you placebo'd the fuck out of me. feels like opened the mix up a bit, made it feel less boxy. that was a good recommend.

i've not used fir much, but i definitely used reaeq in the past. what benefits does fir have over fabfilter in your opinion?
Yeah, sounds much better. My ear leans more towards v4a, but the toms are still misfiring or something around 1:09ish.

As for Pro-Q 2, you're probably well covered there. It's amazing. I have the DMMF eq's which I love, but was looking for a more all-in-one unit, so I demo'd Pro-Q 2, DMG Equilibrium and a less expensive one called CraveEQ (which is actually pretty amazing imo). Of the 3, Equilibrium was a monster. Using various curves from various hardware models at the same time made quick work of things (using pultec curves for the lows and things like GML curves for the highs, etc). Pro-Q was also great and more intuitive I think, but Crave was right there with it less some of the bells and whistles like eq match (would probably never use) and spectrum grab (would probably always use lol). I liked Crave's spectrum analyzer the most out of the three.

Back on track!! ha As for ReaFir....I just kept going back to it during the testing. It seems like the slightest nudge hits things nice and hard and I'm used to it's less than glamorous flow. If I hear something I don't like, I'll just smack it down with ReaFir. It has different modes, so it can also be dynamic as well as a fantastic noise reduction unit (in subtractive mode).

All in all, ReaFir just helped me hold off on the others for now. I'm keeping an eye on Crave, though. If it implements something like spectrum grab in the future I'll be all over it at 70 dollars.

One thing I noticed is that some eq's handle transients better than others. I didn't even think that could be a thing Big Grin I felt Pro-Q seemed to take the most snap out of them. Completely subtle and only noticeable when a-b-c-d'ing things, but something happening there. May have just been my ears playing tricks.