Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ronnie Jones - Why Don't You Stay
I dropped them too Angel
mainly because I knew I would have not enough time to explore with, and also because I had to spare some memory+cpu and make choices... and finally the wet sounded good Smile
Hi Juanjose ,
Sounds great on my monitors ,Just one minor thing can hear a resonating note at 300hz on Electric guitar 11 or 12 that plays in the intro and chorus ,more noticeable when the song changes from the chorus to the verse ,maybe just notching out that area may sit a touch better, I cheated and just muted those guitars Blush

Just a minor thing on a pretty solid mix Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

thank you for your advice, Don! that was easy to fix, so here it is without those annoying frequencies that I hadn't pay attention to!! Smile

.mp3    Ronnie Jones - Why Don\'t You Stay(4).mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Hey there ! I'm only listening to your last version.

During the intro, you have a lot of resonating frequencies jumping out of the guitars.
To find them, solo the track, and sweep the frequencies to find the guilty one(s). To do so, grab any EQ, boost like a crazy (more than 12 dB) with a high Q and listen. When you find a resonating frequency, you will hear a very nasty and loud sound. Then cut it out as much as necessary (I sometimes cut -30 dB to get rid of those frequencies).

Your kick lacks some precision in the subs. I can easily hear the "oomph" but it sounds too much. It also masks the bass. I would suggest you too choose which one will be above the other. For this tune, my bass is below the kick. So I've boosted at 60 Hz the bass (and use a hi pass set at 65 on the kick) and boosted the kick at 70 Hz (and cut the bass at 70-80 Hz). So they work together without masking.

One last thing you can improve : the vocals on the bridge are out of tune. I used Logic flex pitch to fix them, and it sounds much better. Pretty strange the producers did not realize how out of tune they are.

Good job pal, I like your mix.