Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ronnie Jones - Why Don't You Stay
Here's my mix. Any advice for improvement will be welcomed!

.mp3    Ronnie Jones - Why Don\'t You Stay.mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Balanced and natural mix, I like it.

Drums very good, bass might come up a bit.

Is tambourine too loud?

Vox is not optimally focussed yet, you might try to add some Character to it.
thank you for your suggestions, Olli. I've tried to improve the mix with your ideas.

.mp3    Ronnie Jones - Why Don\'t You Stay(2).mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Now as the vox is louder, also some sort of boxiness or room modes are more audible. As if you added some character to room modes.

I might try searching something to cut away from 300-400 hz area, maybe also 600-800 area. BTW the free Melda Eq has a nice feature for room modes. For example if there's a problem caused by room around 350 hz, you can easily simultanousely cut from 700 and 1400 etc. And if you sweep for an another frequency, those multiples adjust automatically.
I think I've fixed the vocals now. Not only they're lower but I've done some changes in the EQ and compression.

Thanks!!!Smile

.mp3    Ronnie Jones - Why Don\'t You Stay(3).mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Sounds great to me.
Hello Juan,
nice mix ! for my taste, vocals could be a bit more upfront, but it sounds good. I have just started with FL as you did (are you still working with this DAW ?)
thank you guys!!

Claudiom, I'm not using FL anymore. That was in the beginning (four years ago). Then I moved to Reaper and then to Studio One. Reaper was a good DAW, but it used to crash too often in my computer and then I decided to move to Studio One which was more stable.
mixing since April 2013
Ok ! How did you handle all the dry & DI guitar tracks ? Do you dropped some of them, or use for mix with "wet" tracks or reamp ?
I liked the sound of the wet ones, so I kept those and didn't use the other ones. But I kept them close by just in case that I needed to do something different or that the result with the wet ones were not good enough for what I had in mind Smile
mixing since April 2013