Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix
Hi all,

Well, that was a challenge...
This is my mix version.

.mp3    StillFlyin_03122016.mp3 --  (Download: 10.4 MB)

Hi

Overall balance needs more work
Here are my observations

*Bass is burried in the back of the mix.
*@2:13 that lead/ solo guitar is too low
*@2:28 the lead/solo guitar at the right is very thin sounding making it feel like is not part of the song. It sounds like it was recorded somewhere else.
*On the drop down there is something odd about the snare. I beieve is the reverb. there is bleed of it on the left side. Also a long hall reverb will be beneficial but don't use it in the same snare track.. use it in a separate bus so that way it doesn't affect the texture of your snare.
*Toms are too muddy do a cut around the 500hz and a bit around the 200hz

I hope this helps.
(05-12-2016, 05:57 AM)Shul Wrote: Hi

Overall balance needs more work
Here are my observations

*Bass is burried in the back of the mix.
*@2:13 that lead/ solo guitar is too low
*@2:28 the lead/solo guitar at the right is very thin sounding making it feel like is not part of the song. It sounds like it was recorded somewhere else.
*On the drop down there is something odd about the snare. I beieve is the reverb. there is bleed of it on the left side. Also a long hall reverb will be beneficial but don't use it in the same snare track.. use it in a separate bus so that way it doesn't affect the texture of your snare.
*Toms are too muddy do a cut around the 500hz and a bit around the 200hz

I hope this helps.

Thank you Shul for your comments! Allways appreciate when somebody takes the time to analyze.

I agree with the lead guitar being too soft and I think I understand what you mean by the detached feel of the rhytm guitar at 2:28. It is proberly an unwanted by-product of some stereo widening on that guitar buss. I also subscribe on the advice on the toms to some degree.

I do not agree about the bass being buried or/and that the overall balance is off. At least not on the systems I listened on so far... It is obvious that in my version the kick got preference over the bass but I think the bass still supports the song and the low end rather well. A problem I encountered with the bass is that to get rid of that nasty fizzy resonance you also kill an important part of the definition in the higher frequency region that you would like to poke through at some moments.

Another observation I had was that I was easily fatiqued during mixing of this song. After one hour my mix decisions allready became pretty worthless.

Thanks again for your feedback and happy mixing.

(03-12-2016, 08:47 PM)Nucleus Wrote: Hi all,

Well, that was a challenge...
This is my mix version.

Very clean mix! That said, I do agree with Shul in regards to balance, and bass being buried. Also at 1:22 there is a weird whooshing sound or something that shouldn't be there.