Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All The Gin Is Gone (M&F)
Oh Yeah!!! This is absolutely excellent material... The forum reference would easily past muster in a $200k audiophile setup that will saturate, boost, and amplify in real-time during playback.. for the rest of the listening world, the amplification embedded in the mix/master produces a similar impact the $200k system playing a version of the raw mix does..

24-bit 44.1 Master Reference
https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldruglord...e+Rev3.wav

.mp3    All The Gin Is Gone Rev3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
sounds well balanced and loud ,a touch less limiting for more dynamics and room to breath more would sound fantastic.
Thanks for Sharing your great mix !
Sounds good. I like the separation of the horns. I would consider swapping the 'bone and trumpet (if I'm hearing right). The trumpet would cut better though the center with the drums and bass and give the bone more space to stand out because they're so dark in general. To be fair I don't know if there's is a common arrangement for jazz horns that one should stick to. [Edit: I downloaded the Multitracks and trombone works best in the middle. never mind]

I do think I hear some distortion at spots that normally wouldn't bother me but for a track like this it seems excessive.

The bass might be a bit 'clankly'. It really stands out in the run at the very end with the piano. That is the nature of uprights and what he's playing, I know, but it'd be nicer with some more lower mid punch. It's nice at the top of the song. [E2: Yeah on the multi he really hits the fretboard at the end. I'd still consider downplaying it]

All nitpicks though. It sounds good.
(05-11-2016, 02:10 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds good. I like the separation of the horns. I would consider swapping the 'bone and trumpet (if I'm hearing right). The trumpet would cut better though the center with the drums and bass and give the bone more space to stand out because they're so dark in general. To be fair I don't know if there's is a common arrangement for jazz horns that one should stick to. [Edit: I downloaded the Multitracks and trombone works best in the middle. never mind]

I do think I hear some distortion at spots that normally wouldn't bother me but for a track like this it seems excessive.

The bass might be a bit 'clankly'. It really stands out in the run at the very end with the piano. That is the nature of uprights and what he's playing, I know, but it'd be nicer with some more lower mid punch. It's nice at the top of the song. [E2: Yeah on the multi he really hits the fretboard at the end. I'd still consider downplaying it]

All nitpicks though. It sounds good.

Thanks, all valid observations.. the 3 brass part arraignment is interesting because they come out of a big multi solo in a chorus.

The bass here isn't as potent as it was recorded as I placed a slight room on a parallel buss to add ambiance, otherwise, the tradeoff to doing that was that mid punch you mention, I didn't want the percussion of the direct bass to conflict with the rhythm of the drum work and play in the background opening up the song to let the brass play (when they come in).

This is the first print for me, I will keep listening to it to determine where I want the final to sit on the post.
Glad to help. It inspired me to download the multitrack and try my hand at mixing it. Upright bass is always tricky and this one is no different. But it's a fun one to work on.

Cheers.
(05-11-2016, 11:23 AM)eclipseaudio Wrote: sounds well balanced and loud ,a touch less limiting for more dynamics and room to breath more would sound fantastic.
Thanks for Sharing your great mix !

I upped a new version with more dynamics thanks
Hi Digital,

A very very well balanced mix, I like (for my own taste) the way you treated the drums, especially the snare, while the snare tells a story in jazz, its important not to compress the snare too much in jazz. (or compress it at all Big Grin).
You did a great job, a delight to listen to.

Cheers,
Luc
Pro Tools 12.7
https://soundcloud.com/luc-van-der-stap
http://www.aecom.nl
-Mobile and static studios are ready :-) http://www.audioreg.com
'Mixing is pure subjective, once the 1st mix is launched it will be considered as the best, hence the standard'
ddl .. beautiful mix bro... love it!!
(11-11-2016, 08:14 PM)Luc van der Stap Wrote: Hi Digital,

A very very well balanced mix, I like (for my own taste) the way you treated the drums, especially the snare, while the snare tells a story in jazz, its important not to compress the snare too much in jazz. (or compress it at all Big Grin).
You did a great job, a delight to listen to.

Cheers,
Luc

Thanks Luc.. I love the rhythm of the drumplay here and wanted the groove to drive the tune.. its exceptional material, and after listening to Norah Jones latest, hd to let this one fly a bit high!
(12-11-2016, 08:41 AM)Shul Wrote: ddl .. beautiful mix bro... love it!!

Thanks Shul.. finally found my mojo on the workstation... got a workflow I'm happy with.. even got rid of a bunch of gear I didn't need (like all the UA processing, down to only an Octo)..