Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AdamBeat's Mix
I mixed this over 2 days , mostly because I wanted to get something different out of the guitars. It called for a trashy 90's punk treatment. I can't begin to describe what I did to the guitars except that it involved a couple of amps, a multi-band compressor and multiband imaging. I also de-noised and smashed the bass and added saturation to both. I used the so-called New York" bussing technique on the kicks and muted the overheads on the verses to give it more movement. I was glad to see somebody else thought to use slapback on the vocals. I added another track and washed delay and reverb for the chorus.

I'd really appreciate feedback, as this is one of the first really grimy rock songs I've ever mixed.

.mp3    Fragile Thoughts1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.32 MB)

nice mix. the vibe fits the song, and the balances are pretty good, except the voice a little louder than i would like especially on the verses.

And the voice sometimes feels to upfront and sometimes it gets lots, you could compress more and/or automate the level so the nuances doesnt get lost and the loud parts doesnt feel out of place with the rest of the mix.

I dont like much the cymbals sound, the could be a little more open sounding

The distorted guitar sound you got i like it, it could be automated louder to give the chorus more impact and energy.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(13-05-2013, 05:08 AM)jeremias666 Wrote: nice mix. the vibe fits the song, and the balances are pretty good, except the voice a little louder than i would like especially on the verses.

And the voice sometimes feels to upfront and sometimes it gets lots, you could compress more and/or automate the level so the nuances doesnt get lost and the loud parts doesnt feel out of place with the rest of the mix.

I dont like much the cymbals sound, the could be a little more open sounding

The distorted guitar sound you got i like it, it could be automated louder to give the chorus more impact and energy.

Thanks for the feedback. That variation in the vocal is kind of what I was going for, although I agree it probably does have a little too much up/down. I like how it gets a bit washed out in the chorus. I do see how bringing the guitars and the vocal up there could give more energy with the same effect. Good idea.

Great tip on the cymbals, too. Listening again, I agree, they are way too flat and the song would really benefit by opening them up with a nice wet effect. I'll keep that in mind.

Again, thanks for the feedback! All the best.
I like it...I like the trash
I would also lower the vocals a little....but I do like the slapback delay...and you've got the timing right for the flow

I do like the trash guitar, but would probably put some more body I there for the chorus...to lift and fill out that section

The percussion is also a little loud maybe (the cabasa especially)?

But it's a good mixCool
Wease
(16-05-2013, 06:47 PM)Wease Wrote: I like it...I like the trash
I would also lower the vocals a little....but I do like the slapback delay...and you've got the timing right for the flow

I do like the trash guitar, but would probably put some more body I there for the chorus...to lift and fill out that section

The percussion is also a little loud maybe (the cabasa especially)?

But it's a good mixCool
Wease

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I actually automated the heck outta that percussion track. They ARE down...LOL! Really though, trying to control any part of this mix is an exercise in futility due to the bleed. I like how different folks dealt with that differently. And It's great to get a chance to stretch like this. I can't disagree with your comments at all. Valuable feedback. Cheers!