Discussion Zone
AdamBeat's Mix - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Big Stone Culture: 'Fragile Thoughts' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+---- Thread: AdamBeat's Mix (/showthread.php?tid=1547)

AdamBeat's Mix - AdamBeat - 12-05-2013

I mixed this over 2 days , mostly because I wanted to get something different out of the guitars. It called for a trashy 90's punk treatment. I can't begin to describe what I did to the guitars except that it involved a couple of amps, a multi-band compressor and multiband imaging. I also de-noised and smashed the bass and added saturation to both. I used the so-called New York" bussing technique on the kicks and muted the overheads on the verses to give it more movement. I was glad to see somebody else thought to use slapback on the vocals. I added another track and washed delay and reverb for the chorus.

I'd really appreciate feedback, as this is one of the first really grimy rock songs I've ever mixed.

RE: AdamBeat's Mix - jeremias666 - 13-05-2013

nice mix. the vibe fits the song, and the balances are pretty good, except the voice a little louder than i would like especially on the verses.

And the voice sometimes feels to upfront and sometimes it gets lots, you could compress more and/or automate the level so the nuances doesnt get lost and the loud parts doesnt feel out of place with the rest of the mix.

I dont like much the cymbals sound, the could be a little more open sounding

The distorted guitar sound you got i like it, it could be automated louder to give the chorus more impact and energy.

RE: AdamBeat's Mix - AdamBeat - 13-05-2013

(13-05-2013, 05:08 AM)jeremias666 Wrote: nice mix. the vibe fits the song, and the balances are pretty good, except the voice a little louder than i would like especially on the verses.

And the voice sometimes feels to upfront and sometimes it gets lots, you could compress more and/or automate the level so the nuances doesnt get lost and the loud parts doesnt feel out of place with the rest of the mix.

I dont like much the cymbals sound, the could be a little more open sounding

The distorted guitar sound you got i like it, it could be automated louder to give the chorus more impact and energy.

Thanks for the feedback. That variation in the vocal is kind of what I was going for, although I agree it probably does have a little too much up/down. I like how it gets a bit washed out in the chorus. I do see how bringing the guitars and the vocal up there could give more energy with the same effect. Good idea.

Great tip on the cymbals, too. Listening again, I agree, they are way too flat and the song would really benefit by opening them up with a nice wet effect. I'll keep that in mind.

Again, thanks for the feedback! All the best.

RE: AdamBeat's Mix - Wease - 16-05-2013

I like it...I like the trash
I would also lower the vocals a little....but I do like the slapback delay...and you've got the timing right for the flow

I do like the trash guitar, but would probably put some more body I there for the chorus...to lift and fill out that section

The percussion is also a little loud maybe (the cabasa especially)?

But it's a good mixCool
Wease

RE: AdamBeat's Mix - AdamBeat - 17-05-2013

(16-05-2013, 06:47 PM)Wease Wrote: I like it...I like the trash
I would also lower the vocals a little....but I do like the slapback delay...and you've got the timing right for the flow

I do like the trash guitar, but would probably put some more body I there for the chorus...to lift and fill out that section

The percussion is also a little loud maybe (the cabasa especially)?

But it's a good mixCool
Wease

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I actually automated the heck outta that percussion track. They ARE down...LOL! Really though, trying to control any part of this mix is an exercise in futility due to the bleed. I like how different folks dealt with that differently. And It's great to get a chance to stretch like this. I can't disagree with your comments at all. Valuable feedback. Cheers!